Panic - Planning Officer Impending :-) Pics Included.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I posted on here a few weeks ago regarding panicking about my neighbour objecting to our proposed single storey extension. She has basically :(

We want to extend out by 4.3m from the rear of our house, with a flat roof of maximum height 3m at the eaves. See drawings attached.

The neighbour objected on 5 grounds (drains capacity, PWA, surface water, noise and overshadowing). I get the first 4 are not material planning considerations, and everything regarding drainage, surface water, digging soakaways are all in hand. Its the overshadowing part im worried about. Our case officer is coming tomorrow to take pictures and i'm just having a last minute panic about it all. Do you think what we are proposing is overshadowing?

By measurement on the rear elevation drawing we adhere to the 45degree rule. I've also included some photos of the back of our house (do they take into account her 15ft tree overshadowing us?!). We are also south facing.

Any help is truly appreciated.

Attachments

• eastelevation.jpg
    eastelevation.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 160
  • southevation.jpg
    southevation.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 167
  • westelevation.jpg
    westelevation.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 169
  • garden 1.jpg
    garden 1.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 163
  • garden2.jpg
    garden2.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 161
  • garden 3.jpg
    garden 3.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 166
Sponsored Links
There can't be any overshadowing from a single story. The 45 degree rule deals with light, and if you conform the the council's policy then that can't be a reason for refusal

Thank you. Is the planning officer just attending to adhere to processes? It all just seems very drastic :(

Planners are supposed to attend site unless they have enough info from the application or Google Streetview. I've had to send photos in for the last few apps I've done as the planner could not come out "due to Covid".

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I think you'll be fine. They'll look, and hopefully see that it will not shadow the neighbour. Their tree must cause more shadows that a new roof, that won't be that much higher than the structure you have there already.

Good opportunity to meet them and have a chat.

Thanks for raising that point jonbey. Is it appropriate to converse with them whilst they are here?! Maybe appropriate to discuss the weather :LOL: but specifics of the application?

Ask them about overhanging branches and what remedies there are. Planners came out to our bungalow just to see what the site was like prior to the application being approved. Good luck.

Genuinely have no clue.
That can help. :p There are people on here that make a living out of it :rolleyes:

Just say something like "I thought my plan drawer had done everything right, he charged me enough. He said something about the 45 angle rule or something, and said it was OK. Is it OK? do you think there are any problems with it or anything else - I may need to get a refund from him?" <laugh>

This can fish out some info, but they may or may not choose to engage. If they laugh you have a chance.

Then add "I hope the neighbours don't complain again they are always moaning about everyone in the street for the slightest thing, it's like a past time for them I think, but I do try to get on with them.

This paints them as the unreasonable people and you as the reasonable.

Thanks for raising that point jonbey. Is it appropriate to converse with them whilst they are here?! Maybe appropriate to discuss the weather :LOL: but specifics of the application?

I don't know, but I just think if you get on with somebody and are all smiles and positive, it gives a good impression and might help sway them your way, if there was any doubt in your mind!

Don't forget to offer a cup of tea as soon as they arrive.
Most likely they'll decline, but it paves the way for a positive inspection.
I used to consider a cuppa a way to offer a better quote, or pull out all together.

Thanks so much everyone for your replies. I will offer a cuppa, and generally just be friendly and open - thats all i can do.

I guess i thought it was because of the objection that they were visiting my home - but it seems to be the normal thing to do as part of the application....?

Thanks again dudes!

What is your LPA’s guidance on outlook, amenity and daylight?

What is your LPA’s guidance on outlook, amenity and daylight?

The ERYC guidance states that anything of 3.5m deep is generally acceptable, but that each development proposal will have it's own merits. They take into account orientation of the site (we are south facing) and things such as whether it will overlook overshadow neighbouring properties (which is kinda what I'm trying to ascertain).

So its prescriptive, but with room for opinion I'd say?

Ok so yes, Paragraph 3.4 of your LPA’s ‘Design Guidance for House Extensions’ states...

“In order to provide general guidance it is suggested that single storey extensions should not normally extend more than 3.5 metres if directly adjoining a side boundary. This is to prevent unacceptable overshadowing and loss of light to the neighbouring property. The extension could be increased by setting in the extension from the boundary. Two storey extensions have a much greater potential to overshadow and dominate a neighbouring property, so unless set back from the adjoining boundaries two storey extensions will normally only be permitted to extend 1.5 metres out.”

As this is guidance and applications are determined on their individual merits, the LPA may well look to address the overbearing impact on the neighbour. How they asses this is down to them because some LPA’s use a more lenient 65 degree angle for single storey extensions. These angle lines can be taken from the edges or centre lines of windows/doors that serve habitable rooms as LPA’s have different criteria. If those windows/doors are secondary to that room, then that would help strengthen your case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back