Panoroof skylights - are they any good??

Not sure I would do that span in 4mm glass but they must have done the calcs.
n/m it's under 2m2

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

I just want to reignite this thread as I'm looking for some 1300 x1300 roof lights and these are available on eBay at a reasonable price.

Have you had any issues since installing them?

Any can anyone tell me if you're better of going for aluminium roof lights or would these wooden frame ones be fine?

Thanks for your help!

Dav

Thanks Andy, i appreciate the feedback. I think at that price I'll give it a shot. The aluminium frames are a bit too pricey for the size i need.

Sponsored Links
Just to echo Andy's comments, I've had 3 fitted for a month now and so far so good, look great too.

Thanks for confirming Andy's comments. I'll give them a try. I'm looking at three 1200 x 1200 so the price is a lot better than I'm seeing in showrooms.

Another bump for this thread!

I really like the look of these windows, but my main concern is security. I gather these windows are just siliconed in. I want to install a window in quite a low, easily accessible roof. Would it not be easy for someone to cut the silicone and remove the window, or is the bond so strong that this cannot be done? Would this have any implication on insurance cover etc?

As I say, I like the low profile nature of these windows but am concerned about the security aspect... am I worrying unnecessarily?

Cheers,

Gus

As the silicone goes on both levels of the 'stepped' kerb I think it nearly impossible for the glass to be removed in one piece. You might be able to cut through the top layer with cheese wire but couldn't get to the lower silicone.

My one was so heavy that three of us just manoeuvred it into position... the black Monster (that's the brand) silicone we used is very strong. Would have to smash the glass to get in via our skylight! (I hope)

Just wanted to see how everyone’s getting on with their Panoroof skylights a year later? We’re considering them for a build project in the next few weeks (and are close enough to collect) but are worried they seem to good to be true. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Just wanted to see how everyone’s getting on with their Panoroof skylights a year later? We’re considering them for a build project in the next few weeks (and are close enough to collect) but are worried they seem to good to be true. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

No complaints from me - all my previous comments stand!

Only thing is that if I were to install it again I would maybe put the glass on slightly more of an angle to help the rainwater run off :)

We are very pleased with our window.

Hi - Just realised I never posted any pics of the finished article so here you are... (y)

20180124_080409.jpg

20180124_080428.jpg

20180124_080441.jpg

20180124_080452.jpg

Nice lights - is that a self adhesive LED strip stuck to the surface, or something more complicated?

The intention was so that at night time, we still had light coming down from our skylight. To achieve this we set LED ribbon within a 90 degree aliminium profile (https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK156810.html). Above the profile we stepped the verticle wall out by doubling up the plasterboard. We actually installed the profile before skimming so that it blends in seamlessly (the plasterer skimmed up to the edge of the metal profile).

Most people don't realise it is a light there - and only realise when we turn it on :)

I’ve got panoroof skylights too, not boarded ceiling yet. Pleased with them, but I’d agree with what others have said about the angle to help rain run off. But I suppose it’s a trade off, too steep an they’ll look weird when boarded out. Mine are set slightly under the recommended and rain drops sit there. Be interesting how the self cleaning glass performs.

With regards to the pics of the finished room Andy has posted - looks very smart. Really like the “showbiz” lighting. What LED strip did you stick inside those profiles? They look very neat. Do they provide much light or are they more visual effect?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back