1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Panoroof skylights - are they any good??

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by andymet87, 7 Aug 2016.

1. andymet87

andymet87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a 1m x 2m skylight and seen the Panoroof windows that are available (mainly on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221378660664)

I like the look and simplicity of them...

Does anyone have any experience using them??

2. machineage

machineage

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was looking at a couple of these and also wondered if anyone had any experience of them?

3. andymet87

andymet87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've bought one and will report back in the next week or so once it's installed. As a company the customer services are great. Window has arrived and looks good. Will come back to you once installed!

4. HC1904

HC1904

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi - I'm also considering using these, have you installed yours yet? if so, what's your verdict?
    Cheers

5. andymet87

andymet87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi. we're still building but it is fitted. ours came with the wooden frame/kerb and we bought from ebay. it has a visible glass area of 1m x 2m.

Installation was easy - build up a small upstand etc then add the frame/kerb. we had a grp roof that the roofer lapped up the side if the kerb as per instructions.

To install the glass... lots of black glazing silicone and drop the glass into place... again very easy. several trades said they wished all skylights were as easy to fit.

It is very low profile too on the roof which we needed.

So far no leaks - even in very heavy downpours so looking good. can't comment on thermal performance yet as not got the heating going again yet.

At the moment I think it was a good purchase... will try and post some pics before I head off to work.

6. geraldthehamster

geraldthehamster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Would be interested to see pictures, thanks.

Cheers
    Richard

7. andymet87

andymet87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As requested some pics..! Not looking its best atm as we're tiling a wall quite close but so have left its protective film on and covered it with pallets/wood atm to protect it... so it's quite dirty!

On the inside, the plasterboard will just get butted up against the underside of the glass to create a "seamless" finish.

Happy to answer any queries

20161206_080045_resized.jpg 20161206_080101_resized.jpg 20161206_080112_resized.jpg 20161206_080128_resized.jpg 20161206_080146_resized.jpg 20161206_080316_resized.jpg 20161206_080346_resized.jpg 20161206_080401_resized.jpg 20161206_080420_resized.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. HC1904

HC1904

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Excellent, thanks for posting the pictures.

9. chappers

chappers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    basically its a sealed unit with an oversized outer pain, with a pacified edge, seems a bit pricey.

10. andymet87

andymet87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes that's about it... I got our triple glazed unit (1m x 2m internal opening) for £685 delivered and didn't think the price was too bad given the other options we had. :)

11. HC1904

HC1904

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm not very knowledgeable on these things but to me they look like they'll do the same job as other types, is it just cost that concerned you or do you have concerns on the performance of that type of rooflight?

I'm looking at Qty 3 1000mm x 800mm and it comes to approx £1000 total (delivered) which is way cheaper then other types I've found. My 'too good to be true' alarm is ringing at the moment!

12. chappers

chappers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No just the cost for what they are.
    Obviously they are good value when compared to the other commercial alternatives.
    I have myself constructed several rooflights pretty much identical to those and would estimate that a 1mx 2m sealed unit like that would cost around the £200 mark, plus a little bit for triple glazed.

One thing I would say to check though is; if the black edging doesn't extend into the window enough to cover the top edge of the plasterboard and the plaster, then that raw edge will be visible if you can see down from above. You can get round this by smearing a thin layer of black silicone onto the glass before putting the plasterboard up and skimming (through the glass from above it will look just like the factory pacification) then when you have skimmed, trim and scrape off the excess

Last edited: 7 Dec 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. andymet87

andymet87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the tip - not looked at this yet but will be sure to do this if needed!

14. garyo

garyo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How are they fitted? Is all the weight hanging off the outer panel and relying on the spacer bar bonding until they're plastered in?

15. andymet87

andymet87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No, they supply a timber frame with a lip that the window sits within... this the drawing off their website / ebay listing.

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1