Papering and Skirting a new Skim Coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I've just had the room skimmed and the plaster is dry. I've left it a few extra days to be on the safe side

I'll be painting three walls and papering one (wife's decision!).

In a previous forum posting I have established that the fresh plaster must be "prepared" with watered down emulsion. This is fine for the three walls to be painted. My new question is about the wallpaper and the skirting boards that are to be put on.

How should I "prepare" the wall to be papered. Should I emulsion it as with the rest of the room or does it require a different kind of preparation.

My second question is about the skirting. The walls are true and as a result I will be mostly glueing with Evostick. When I "prepare" (paint) the plaster should I leave an unpainted area at the bottom of the walls that I am about to glue to or should I paint that as well and glue onto the paint.

My third question is do I have to prime the skirting board before painting with Satinwood coat.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What type of wallcovering are you going to apply to one wall ? Paint can loose adhesion if to much pressure is used on it by "no-more-nails" or "evostick". Also some of these glue's mention that they do not stick to emulsions. So if i were you, then what i would do is, measure from floor to top of skirting and leave a pencil mark on plaster, then get a stanley knife and slightly cut into plaster at mentioned area's creating a criss cross effect, then i would PVA at mentioned area's with a mix of PVA 1/5 WATER and ler dry, then i would use no-more-nails to fix skirtings. Your third question can only be answered when you answer my question above ?

It is an embossed paper. Not anything special.

My wife has Mist coated all walls in the room!!!! Will I need to do anything special to get the wall paper to stick to the mist coat on the one wall that I am papering?

Cheers

Embossed ! Do you mean an Blown Vinyl Embossed wallcovering or a Finished Blown Vinyl Embossed wallcovering or a Embossed that has no crush relief or a Finished Embossed that has no crush relief ? Also, you say your wife gave the one wall a mist coat. What type and make of paint was used ? & was the mist coat thinned down ? if so, by how much ? Also, what is the instructions on the wallcovering, in terms of prep ?

Sponsored Links
I'll pull my finger out and get you a proper answer tomorrow. Watch this space.

Thanks for you interest

Hehe, unfortanatly all the questions i have asked need to be answered before i can confidently give you an answer.

Ok, could have a problem here.

The mistcoat was watered down silk emulsion. No mention of vinyl on the container.

I tried to denib by light sanding and noticed that some of the paint simply peeled away like a skin!!! Arggggh.

The mix was watered down 4 Paint to 1 Water.

It might be ok in other areas but I don't want to start peeling to find out. What have I done wrong and what can I do to rectify the situation. Will a second mistcoat improve the situation.

Or am I just getting carried away. Please tell me all is fine!

liamcaswell said:
Ok, could have a problem here.

The mistcoat was watered down silk emulsion. No mention of vinyl on the container.
I tried to denib by light sanding and noticed that some of the paint simply peeled away like a skin!!! Arggggh.

The mix was watered down 4 Paint to 1 Water.

It might be ok in other areas but I don't want to start peeling to find out. What have I done wrong and what can I do to rectify the situation. Will a second mistcoat improve the situation.

Or am I just getting carried away. Please tell me all is fine!

O dear..you will certainly need to give the walls a really good rub down now to provide a key..you may also have a problem with the joints because the paper cant grip to the silk covered wall surface.

A second mist coat will make no difference really...although if you coat it with vinyl matt you will have a better surface to paper over..but this isnt a good situation.

Personally I would line the wall with 800 grade lining paper using a ready mixed paste allow to dry thoroughly and then paper over with your embossed...lining paper is the idea surface to paper over.

None of these options are what you could refer to as 'by the book' ..if you want 100% assurance then the mist coat has got to come off im affriad..then size the walls and paper (although...id still use a lining paper in case of joint shrinkage and your using a coloured 'finished' embossed)

Hi, I will be painting three walls and wallpapering one.

I have a Dulux silk emulsion for the good coats. I take it this will stick to the mistcoat and therefore could end up peeling as well.

How can I remove the mist coat without damaging the new skim.

What should I use when I re do the mist coat?

Thanks

Mmmmmmmmm, best thing to do is do not paper over one wall and just emulsion the one wall you intend to paper, in a different colour. I advize this to save you alot of hassle.

Guys, I must emphasise it was just the bits I denibbed which peeled a little.

I think I will do some test patches of the finish emulsion and see how I go from there.

Inspection of the wall shows it looks ok.

The room is entirely mistcoated in silk emulsion. Will I need to paint over this on the wall to be papered so the wall paper will stick.

The other walls will be painted with a Dulux Colour Tint Silk.

To put it to you clearly. When silk emulsion has been used as an sealer on new plaster, then there is high chance that when you are papering over it, that the edges of the wallcovering can cause the silk/flexible emulsion to blister. ESPECIALY AT WHERE THE PAPER JIONTS ARE. It will also RIP OFF the silk when you decide to move the paper whilst papering etc etc etc etc..................................

I'm gutted about this,

I asked the oldest guy in B&Q what paint I could use for the mist coat. He pointed me to Crown Brilliant Silk Emulsion.

What should I paint over the silk mist on the wall I intend to paper.

Thanks guys.

I'm so gutted I listened to him now.

I'm a bit dejected to hear it, I've always though an emulsioned wall gives a nice smooth, plain-coloured surface that's good to paper to later.

Is it just the silks that do this, or is there something about the formulation we should look out for?

It isnt a good idea to use silk on new plaster walls unless they are perfect...and your ability to paint them is spot on too..becasue they have a sheen then show up every single imperfection..trowel marks...everything.

The reason you shouldnt paper over silk is, as captain turdseye said, you just dont have the adhesion, the wall has no, what is known as, 'snatch'..

Silk is permeable to water...eventually but not as much as matt...so you have more suction with matt (except real life and easy clean vinyl matts that is) ...also papering over contact (non vinyl) matt can be risky too as the paste will penetrate it and couple possibly cuase it to blister or bubble.

Point...be wary of people in red bibs...some know very little about whatever they are on about!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back