Papering and Skirting a new Skim Coat

Hmmm.... Myself I would carry on and emulsion all walls and leave the paper untill emulsion has fully cured approx two weeks then paper directly onto the emulsion after a light rub over with fine sandpaper to dull the silk..... Not by the book but ........ ;)

Sponsored Links
Can you suggest what I put over the silk paint so I can paper the wall.

I don't want to line the wall as it has been skimmed perfectly.

If I do change my mind about everything, how do I remove the mist coat. Do I peel it off????

Do I stick something to it and pull that off to hopefully remove what's underneath?

Zampa said:
...It isnt a good idea to use silk on new plaster walls unless they are perfect...and your ability to paint them is spot on too..becasue they have a sheen then show up every single imperfection..trowel marks...everything....

Perfection is my middle name! ;)

When someone says "I've always thought an emulsioned wall gives a nice smooth, plain-coloured surface that's good to paper to later", then i ask myself what does this actually mean ! Cos when someone says 'emulsion' then the problem with it is there are soooooooooo many types of emulsions out there that all have different ingredients. This causes sooooooooo many contradictions when someone says 'emulsion', if u all see what i mean. However, "liamcaswell" if you coated all your walls with a thinned vinyl matt as a mist coat and then coated them with a silk, then you would have no problems with wallcovering over it. But because the silk has been directly applied on the new plaster then unfortunatly the silk is only sitting on the top of the new plaster surface (even when thinned). Also, cos you I asked the oldest guy in B&Q what paint you could use for the mist coat & He pointed you to Crown Brilliant Silk Emulsion, then this means nothing if the old guy was not an proffessional decorator. In other words, he is just an old guy with b&q clothing on. Though maybe he claims he is an decorator. If i were you "liamcaswell" & you insist in wallpapering one wall then i would give the one wall two coats of Dulux Trade Vinyl Silk and leave for 28 days (to fully cure), then line the one wall and leave 72 hours to dry, then apply your chioce of wallcovering. But i personaly would be more inclined to keep emulsioning all your walls for many years to come as this will cause no problems. Also, "JohnD" it is Soft Sheen, Silk,Acrylics & some matt's that can blister when they are used as an sealer on new/bare plaster.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone,

I'm just going to have to make the best of a bad situation.

It's the wall papering that's scaring me as I did some test paint patches on the walls to be painted and it looked great.

Don't think blistering emulsion will look quite as nice!

I still don't think I've read how to remove the mist coat.

To finish off, has anyone got advice on this?

Third_Eye said:
... Also, "JohnD" it is Soft Sheen, Silk,Acrylics & some matt's that can blister when they are used as an sealer on new/bare plaster.

doesn't seem to leave much :cry:

Luckily, I think all my walls are done now, and the oldest coat was matt. I shall try to remember though when decorating over patches and chases.

liamcaswell said:
Thanks everyone,

It's the wall papering that's scaring me as I did some test paint patches on the walls to be painted and it looked great.

You could try peeling off the entire silk of the wall with your hands. i.e. get a flexible paint edge and keep pulling, but make sure you run a blade on surounding walls.Though this is no gaurantee this will work as it will take ages to do !

JohnD said:
Third_Eye said:
... Also, "JohnD" it is Soft Sheen, Silk,Acrylics & some matt's that can blister when they are used as an sealer on new/bare plaster.

doesn't seem to leave much :cry:

Luckily, I think all my walls are done now, and the oldest coat was matt. I shall try to remember though when decorating over patches and chases.
If you use Vinyl Matt " JohnD" then nothing will go wrong. But beware of papering over matt emulsion (not vinyl)

liamcaswell said:
Thanks everyone,

A wallpaper stripper ;)

A thin bladed scraping tool such as a filling knife...it will get under the paint better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back