papering over textured wallpaper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

We are decorating our tiny 2 room flat at the mo. Previously my husband stripped the wallpaper from the walls in the front room, which unfortunately turned out to be impossible without wrecking the existing ancient plaster underneath. This meant he had to take the whole thing back to the brick then create channels for batons to then fix plasterboard to.

Now we are doing the back room and really dont want to try removing the existing textured wallpaper and end up with all the same work as above. But there are gaps everywhere!

Is it possible to put another layer of textured wallpaper over the existing textured wallpaper without it looking weird and lumpy? The existing stuff is quite a small texture effect - looks like woodchip but its not...

Thanks

S

Sponsored Links
Do not be lazy & do the room correctly as you have with the other room. I know it takes more time & money. Also, i would not advize papering over ANY existing wallcovering. So my answer is, No.

to add to above, look at it this way

you have extured paper already, it was applied to a (almost) flat surface, what do you suppose will happen when you try and put another textured surface over that?

you will in effect be putting a hill on top of a hill and hoping it will be the size on one hill not two

Complete waste of time and money..dont do it, it wont work..the textured paper is probably a blown vinyl yeh?..in which case nothing will stick to the blown bits anyway...you wont get neat joints and run the risk of the paper below blowing.

Sponsored Links
There is a new type of wallpaper which you can use to paper over woodchip. You find it with the anaglypta type wallpapers in most big DIY chains.

I used it to paper over ordinary wallpaper and you could'nt see any bumps showing through from the paper underneath it. I normally prefer to strip off old paper but my parents wanted a rush job and it worked ok.

thanks folks, think we will just try to patch it up and paint it then!

S

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back