Paperwork to confirm job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Last year, our builder contracted an electrician to fit c.27 downlights throughout our kitchen/diner/outdoor soffits.

The work was completed (no issues).

Last week we had an EICR and the electrician (a different one) asked if we had the paperwork for the works the previous electrician did.

We don’t, should we? Is it a legal requirement?

Sponsored Links
All work should have a certificate.

Not much to do with electrics is a legal requirement other than the work must be done to ensure safety.

The builder might have it if it came under work for which you were paying him - although he should have given you a copy.

All work should have a certificate.

Not much to do with electrics is a legal requirement other than the work must be done to ensure safety.

The builder might have it if it came under work for which you were paying him - although he should have given you a copy.

Thank you. Is there any situation where a sparky would not provide a certificate?

Shouldn't be - especially with installing new things.

Certain tests should be carried even for trivial work, therefore making a note of the results - showing they had done the tests - might as well be recorded and given to you.

Sponsored Links
In Wales yes a legal requirement, kitchen is a special location, the legal bit is either a completion or compliance certificate, not required any more in England, however the IET/BSi BS 7671 regulations (which are not law, but can be used in a court of law) require that everything is inspected and tested which means either a minor works, or installation certificate.

If on change of owner you could request the completion or compliance certificate from the LABC so you could show all had been done by a scheme member or tested by the LABC then it would be a good system, however I sold my mothers house last year and could not find the paperwork, so applied to council for replacements, told it would take 4 months and would need to pay by the hour for however long it took the council to find them, in other words unless there is a death due to poor installation your not going to get a replacement from council.

Also there is no installation certificate provided, so the bit of paper says there was some work done which was OK, but does not say what work was done that was OK. So rather a useless document anyway.

Thank you for your responses.

To conclude, I should have got paperwork!

I’ll be chasing today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back