Parapet wall after loft conversion

Sponsored Links
1. What did the working drawings indicate prior to any work starting? Was this detail on the plans or passed by BCO, & used by the builders?

2. Did the Planning or Regs scrutineers pass plans that involved working, & discharging rainwater, on your neighbours property?

3. How is your tile hung wall finished below the parapet cover flashing? ie. between the lower dormer wall and the parapet?

4. Inserting ply is not the answer - the lead overlaps should be 150mm min. (yours are approx 75mm) so its possible wind & capillary action will allow moisture in.
How far up behind the tile does the lead cover flashing reach? And how is it fixed?

5. Was re-pointing the neighbour's side of the parapet wall, and dealing with their roof flashing, part of the agreement? The original re-pointing is simply a smear-on strip, and the re-built detail is badly done.

6. Why was that section of brickwork rebuilt in place of the demolished chimney stack?

7. Pics from different angles of the parapet and dormer might help.

Sponsored Links
1. No work is supposed to be performed on approved plans unless you have further approval. Were you working to Council approval?

2. I dont understand where a (dormer?) flat roof comes into this. I'm referring to the neighbour's tiled roof.

3. Are you saying that the tile hanging goes down below the lead until it meets your main roof?

4. No. I'm referring to the horizontal overlaps. Has any water actually penetrated into your neighbour's?

I'm not offering "solutions" i'm trying to understand.

6. Sorry, dont know why the why's there.

7. Any pics, even from street level might help.

8. Could you post scans from any relevant drawings?

if I had detailed this I think I would have removed the copings and slapped a big overhanging fillet of mortar in place of the coping to create an even run to have fully supported the lead, then dressed the lead down more. That approach could still be taken with the gap where the chimney was. I don't like the idea of a bit of plywood, it will not sit on the coping well, it's all over the place and I wouldn't wanna be fixing into those copings. As for the state of the wall that's just crappy workmanship and can only be rectified by redoing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back