Parcel Delivery - Your Rights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know a few on here have had issues with parcels not reaching them.

I had an issue today with a delivery that was given to a resident down the street even though I was in, expecting the parcel.

I complained to DPD, who said the retailer allows them to leave the parcel with a neighbour.

But the retailer says on its own website it will not take responsibility for a parcel that is signed for by someone other than the addressee.

Madness.

Never fear, I was on line searching for stuff to do with this issue and found this on the Which? site:

"So who’s responsible for bad delivery practices? The buck stops with the retailer. This may sound a little harsh, after all it’s the delivery courier who delivers the parcel. But when you buy something online, your contract is with the retailer, not the courier.

It’s the retailer who chooses the courier company – you don’t get a choice. Therefore, if the courier messes up, the retailer is the one who needs to sort it out."

It goes on:

"...But only four in ten knew that if a parcel is left without your permission with a neighbour and the neighbour doesn’t have it, you can ask the retailer to resend it at no extra cost to you."

Hope this helps someone!

Sponsored Links
Yes I have also on a few occasions had issues with parcel/deliveries going stray. I always contact the retailer, as the buck stops with them! I also inform them if they can not use/contract a reliable delivery service/courier I small not be using them again.

I have never understood why these couriers cannot do as instructed, is that hard to knock on the correct door and wait for them to answer it?
I on one occasion was told a delivery would be made on a particular day, an 8am-6pm scenario!
So had arranged with my missus, daughter and myself, that there would always be someone home during the 8am-6pm period. The parcel could be tracked and was declared, as at the location at 10.05am on this day. A time when we were all home!
Strangely I am still waiting to find out what happened to this item, there was no knock on the door, no missed delivery card through the door, no courtesy email, phone call regarding delivery. Just a mystery as it never turned up and this was last November! Regrettably I lost out on work because of this! So they are on my not to use again list.
On this occasion I did try to contact the courier direct, but could only leave a message and they never replied to it.
The company was UKMail and they are bloody useless!

Sponsored Links
Back