Parquet and not square room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am measuring up to lay some parquet flooring in the living room of my 17th century house.

My problem is that the room is not exactly square. The way the room is laid out you would typically be sat facing the large brick built inglenook fire place.

I could lay the pattern square to this focal point, however that would mean that the floor would not be square to the side walls of the room, one of which will be mainly be behind a sofa abd the other is a 400 year old beam which is roughly straight.

Or I could lay the floor square to the side walls but this would mean that it would not be square to the fireplace and focal point walling.

Of course I could lay it square to the fireplace and cut the border round the side walls not "square" into the pattern.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
im probably wrong here but why not dissect the room and start in the middle and work your way out from all directions?

I am working from a centre line but the blocks then intersect the walls say square to the inglenook but not to the side walls, or vice versa.

So I could do a two block border all around and cut the border thick to thin or build a square pattern/border and fill in behind the blocks with slivers to fit the walls.

Any ideas?

Depending on the depth/shape of the inglenook you could follow it's shape with an intricate feature/border turning this to parallel the walls around the room. Keep the inglenook paraquet in correct angle symmetry to the main floor block (so all looks pleasing) and correct the angle(s) from frieze/border to the room walls.
The two corner walls (either side of the inglenook) will show the variations, which could either be mitred (not 45 deg. obviously) with or without a brass or similar inlay. As this joint will only be visible from the outside edge of the intricate frieze/border line to the walls it will hardly be noticeable. A pot stand with an Aspidistra, was the favorite hidey thing of choice back then.

Hope this helps...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links

It might be helpful to see what I am talking about.

At the moment I have dry laid the middle strip parallel to the inglenook but this means it is not parallel to the side walls as show. The short line next to the wall is parallel to the wall, the long line is square to the inglenook.

As I suggested or would it really be so noticeable if you scribed the ends of the parquet blocks into that rather interesting looking rustic skirting, by the way are you removing that and cutting it to fix on top of the parquet blocks once laid, or putting in a scotia, or similar bead? ...pinenot :)

I have four ideas.

1) Build the border square to the inglenook and cut the wall side border blocks to fit.

2) Build the border fully square and fill the differential with an Oak board.

3) Build the pattern square to the inglenook but cut the borders parallel to the wall ie not the pattern, So borders at the side of the room would not meet the pattern square on.

4) Build the border with blocks not parallel to the wall but vertical ie length wise to the wall and cut to length.

Any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back