Parquet damage - water or worm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This parquet block flooring has some small areas of damage. They are all around the old fireplace, and I know that about 10 years ago there was faulty flashing which resulted in water running into the rooms.

I have tested with a meter as it's all dry now.

If this is just water damage then it's easy to replace the damaged blocks, but if it is woodworm then I will have to treat or replace the lot.

Any ideas on whether it's water or worm?

Sponsored Links
Both? Second one down is worm damage, but the others look more like water/rot damage

Urg, was afraid of that. I suspect they are linked as the worm holes are only in the wood in the centre of the area I think was flooded

hudster, if you are still there then there are other issues in your pics?

Sponsored Links
Yes, there's damp in the walls and, i suspect, in whatever sub-floor or sub-area you have.

A "simple" flood would not have caused such damage - its long term damage, and the "wood worms" are drawn to damp wood - there are flight holes near the floor/wall perimeter.

Your floor is shot and needs totally replacing. But you need to find the cause of the long term damp.

If you want to go further with this on here then come back and we can start a new post in the Building forum.

Well, most of it is located within the floor of a cupboard. The whole house has suffered from condensation on the walls in the past, but that is cured now.

There is however a small section in the middle of the room which also some damage in small amounts. Cracked sub-floor maybe?

My mention of "damp in the walls" means just that - not consequences of condensation.

Whats damaged in the middle of the room?

Is the floor solid or suspended?

Solid floor, yet the rest of the house is suspended.

Photos 1 and 2 are within the cupboard.

Photos 3 and 4 are centre of the room

As i said, your floor, ie the finished floor, is shot and all the parqet needs replacing - dont mess with lifting bits here and there.

Given its the only solid floor in the house then it seems that there was, probably, damp difficulties in the past.

It would pay you:
to look for a membrane below the concrete - it should be lapped up behind the skirting.
and go under the house and crawl and examine the joistings and if there is adequate thro ventilation.

Perhaps post pics of the fire place area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back