Parquet Floor - Sanding and varnish/polish advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have several downstairs rooms with parquet floor that need a bit of TLC. My questions are-

1. We are looking for a nice shiny finish. What is the best type of polish or varnish to apply to get a good finish.
2. I have repaired a small area where we removed an under stairs cupboard. Where the repaired blocks are a few of the blocks sit proud by about 1-2mm. Will these just sand down easily using a drum sander? Or should I do something first.
3. The blocks used to repair the gap are a different wood. I searched for weeks to get a suitable size so the wood is slightly different (I got to a point where I thought 'that will do'). A couple of the replacement blocks look a tad too cherry in colour. Is there a stain I could apply to make them look dark brown.

Thanks for any help.
Mike

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Mike,

I've only done a bit of sanding etc. but i've laid plenty of floors, and been around the finishers.

So FWIW, i'd say get a professional in for a number of rooms.

Sanding Parquet can be a troublesome business.

However, you can easily take a few mm's off with a drum sander - have you ever used one before?

Go to a professional flooring store, and you'll find all kinds of coloring, putties, stains and finish etc. and maybe good advice.

There's also a couple of posters on here who give good, sound advice on floor finishes.

Thanks for the reply ree. From what I have seen the charges for sanding and polishing floors looks quite high and could cost a couple of thousand pounds. I cannot afford that amount of money so DIY is the plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back