Sanding and varnishing parquet flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I am in the process of buying a house which has parquet flooring throughout most of downstairs. I am hoping to sand down and then varnish it all, but I am a total newbie to anything like this. Does anyone have any advice? Do I just hire a floor sander and then buy a decent varnish?

Many thanks for your help!

:)

Sponsored Links
Right, you'll need to remove the current finish on the parquet then use a primer then finish of your choice. In terms of the finish I always use Bona, its by far the best and you really get what you pay for. Go to their website, its very helpful and you'll be able to choose which one goes best. Use the HD stuff for high traffic areas, hallways kitchens etc.

For the sanding it depends on how much work you want. You can hire the machines but remember that you'll need to pay for all the paper you use. if you do go down this route get a floor sander and an orbital for the trickier areas. If its possible get the sanding done before you move anything in, it gets extremely dusty. Buy a decent dust mask e.g. £20 plus one.

Alternatively you get someone to do it for you but this is pricey.

Or you buy a decent belt sander, knee pads and dust mask and do it yourself. Its incredibly satisfying and a part of your house that you'll love to show off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back