parquet laying order

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When laying parquet flooring is it best to lay all the middle blocks first and then do all the cutting once the floor is set.

Also i have to go around a fireplace hearth should the blocks be mitred or can they be butted up to each other (which is the norm )

cheers paul

Sponsored Links
bosch67 said:
When laying parquet flooring is it best to lay all the middle blocks first and then do all the cutting once the floor is set.
That's normal, but you may elect to put a border around first (say in basket weave), and then fill in the panel (say in herring bone) and leave the cuts upto the border 'til last.

bosch67 said:
Also i have to go around a fireplace hearth should the blocks be mitred or can they be butted up to each other
It's your floor, be creative, whatever floats your boat. Mitres work. If you want them, have them :D

TexMex said:
bosch67 said:
That's normal, but you may elect to put a border around first (say in basket weave), and then fill in the panel (say in herring bone) and leave the cuts upto the border 'til last.

Let me tell you a little trick of the trade :D
A border with a herringbone pattern isn't 'really' for esthetic reasons but to make it easier for the (professional) fitter.
Start you herringbone pattern in the middle (if we are talking about such a pattern here?) and lay the pattern as far as you can to the walls with whole blocks. Let the adhesive bond properly. Then........

using a circular plunge saw you cut of the excess herringbone pattern to install your border.
Now you are only left with a few tiny bits you have to cut to seize to fill some little gaps between the pattern and the border.

You'll have a hell of a time (labour intensive and a lot of extra saw-waste) if you do it the 'other' way around

WoodYouLike said:
Let me tell you a little trick of the trade :D
A border with a herringbone pattern isn't 'really' for esthetic reasons but to make it easier for the (professional) fitter.
Start you herringbone pattern in the middle (if we are talking about such a pattern here?) and lay the pattern as far as you can to the walls with whole blocks. Let the adhesive bond properly. Then........

using a circular plunge saw you cut of the excess herringbone pattern
I once relayed a parquet floor in a church hall. I introduced the border to save having to nancy around with irregular skirting boards, radiator pipes etc.. at the edge of the main panel. Do you realise how much time this tip would have saved me :oops: Mind you, I don't think I even possessed a circular saw in those days. They were actually very expensive, and not very easy to weald.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys,

woodyoulike- thanks for sharing the tip i honestly would never have thought of that and sounds like it is going to save me one hell of alot of cutting.

cheers paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back