Part built roof got wet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am having a very small extension built, and my concern is with the roofing. The builders had completed the wooden part of the roof (flat roof), but did not cover it with the water proofing materials. The plasterer had come in the mean time and plastered the walls. Last night we had a lot of rain and water was pouring through the light fittings, and this morning there were signs of damp on the plaster. Today the builder has come and covered the roof. My concern is that there is water held in the celotex insulation, the plaster board may be damaged, and now there is a waterproof membrane on the roof the woodchip will not be able to dry out.
Is this something that does happen and I am over worrying about it? or is it possible the roofing material may have to be replaced?

thanks

Sponsored Links
If the wall plaster is hardwall (ie plaster onto the blocks) then it should be fine, ventilate, let it dry completely before painting
Ceiling plasterboard- if there's water stains on the underside thats not good, other than that if its still flat (use a straight edge) it'll be ok.
Celotex isnt porous so won't hold much water.
What woodchip? Do you mean chipboard? Where was it, how wet did it get?

Hi there,
Yes chipboard is what I was meaning. That's was all we had for the roof, the membranes and felt hadn't been put on. It was quite wet from the storm. The downpipe from the guttering was directly about it so had all that water landing on it as well.
Thanks

Hello,

I am having a very small extension built, and my concern is with the roofing. The builders had completed the wooden part of the roof (flat roof), but did not cover it with the water proofing materials. The plasterer had come in the mean time and plastered the walls. Last night we had a lot of rain and water was pouring through the light fittings, and this morning there were signs of damp on the plaster. Today the builder has come and covered the roof. My concern is that there is water held in the celotex insulation, the plaster board may be damaged, and now there is a waterproof membrane on the roof the woodchip will not be able to dry out.
Is this something that does happen and I am over worrying about it? or is it possible the roofing material may have to be replaced?

thanks
Idiot builder…..he has been enjoying the long period of dry weather and forgot English weather.

you don’t plaster until the roof is weather tight.

by woodchip I guess you mean OSB - usually OSB3 is used which is pretty water repellant.

celetex is a closed foam type and won’t absorb moisture.

TBH a day or so of hot sun will bake it dry again

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for your replies. Has made me feel less anxious regarding the water damage. Will let it dry out and assess it in a couple of days.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back