Part M Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when building a new office ext Part M requires disabled facilities. If this is installed to pass building regs and then removed what is the position with this scenario?

Sponsored Links
Hmm, may be I am indeed being a ******! :D If he's saying build an extension that would comply with part M and then for some reason demolish it, is he then concerned that building control who may then be involved again in the removal may take the approach that he's then making the building less accessible than it was? Only BC can answer that, I imagine if its made clear to BC that its a temporary extension I can't see how they could insist on any remedial works to the existing after the demolition. Tis an odd one that!

Sponsored Links
no hes saying build the extension with the disabled facilities, get it signed off then remove the disabled facilities from the extension.

Why would you want to do that unless your trying to be a money grabbing git and get more rentable space?

shouldnt be done. its the same as people who get loft conversions signed off then take off the fire doors

If you build anything that complies with Building Regs + then remove it for whatever the reason, u are the one at risk.

I've heard of people doin it at home, eg - with loft conversions etc. If it's a private residence, u are the only one at risk...........but if there's a fire + your insurance spot the subsequent change (removal of fire door for example) ur screwed.

But a public building, ie an office, is a different + much more risky situation. Building Control enforce Part M so the disabled user has an ease of access to + within the building. If you remove that access.......you are basically saying 'come in, all welcome............unless your disabled!'

To my understanding, it only becomes an issue to the owner, if the disabled user literally reports you to the Local Authority...........they will then propably enforce you to re-do the disbaled access works. I don't know if it's thru fine's or deadlines, but they defo do something about it.

Ring Building Control + report it if I were u.

Thermo said:
no hes saying build the extension with the disabled facilities, get it signed off then remove the disabled facilities from the extension.

In that case he's a complete A hole! :evil:

freddymercurystwin said:
Thermo said:

So, if it is HIS office and he expects nobody else to come into it, why would he need disabled facilities, apart from to appease the lentil weaving, tree hugging, nanny state beaurocrats in Brussels?

If it were a public building office with various members of the great unwashed passing through, then I can understand the emotional outburst, but we don't know all the facts do we.

:rolleyes:

what happens when someone with a disabilty applies for a job at HIS office?

He doesnt expect to have a fire at HIS office does that mean he can rip out the fire protection systems?

The building regulations are there for a reason. Anyone that tries to get around them is a ?£$%"&^*&$*( in my opinion.

Morrisman said:
freddymercurystwin said:
Thermo said:

So, if it is HIS office and he expects nobody else to come into it, why would he need disabled facilities, apart from to appease the lentil weaving, tree hugging, nanny state beaurocrats in Brussels?

If it were a public building office with various members of the great unwashed passing through, then I can understand the emotional outburst, but we don't know all the facts do we.

:rolleyes:

Of course you do realise how your small minded view would change instantaniously should someone you know suddenly become wheelchair bound! Its true we don't know exactly what he's doing but then again it seems a bit odd how he's not come back to defend himself eh?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back