Part P amendment's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im probably about to stir a bees nest but I would like to know a bit more about the 2013 part P amendment's.

what is a "third party registered installer", do sparkys have totame another exam in iexercise to be able to test other people's work?

Who will the responsibility lie upon in the event of a diy installed and 3rd party checked installation causing shock or fire?

Will the self certifying schemes allow there installers to certify other people's work even though the law states they can?

Will it be cost prohibitive for somebody to get a 3rd party in to check works? After all the only way somebody can be 100% sure that the installation is done to all the regulationto check every cm of cable.

Is 3rd party certification something you would do?
[/u]

Sponsored Links
At the moment although I stand to be corrected on this there is no third party system as the scheme operators have not as yet worked out what will be required. It is there to allow scheme operators to include it in the future.

What I would guess will happen in the fullness of time is scheme members will be allowed to sign for inspecting and testing on the 3 signature installation certificate. So the designer will sign for the design, the installer will sign for the installation and the third party guy will sign for inspecting and testing. So really no change except that the form can be cleared by the scheme provider rather than the LABC.

Since in England only the bathroom and consumer unit work will be notifiable only work in these areas will concern the scheme provider as to third party inspection and testing. To inspect and test a consumer unit really there is very little which can be hidden. So the only real problem is bathroom and again even with that it's only the bits that can be touched so no real problem for scheme providers.

Where the problem lies is with insurance. The person doing the inspection and testing is giving a professional opinion and would therefore likely need professional indemnity insurance rather than the normal public liability insurance. As a result many electricians may feel it's not worth the cost of the insurance to do the work so what remains to be seen is if insurers will allow cover under PLI they have in some cases allowed electricians to do EICR and PAT testing with the PLI clearly electricians would need to read the small print. If this is not covered with PLI the extra cost of PII will be the deciding factor.

There is also a directive under the English Part P for councils to charge more reasonable fees. But what seems to be in question is where the council issues a completion certificate who is responsible for ensuring the work is to the prescribed standard? If I was the council I would be rather wary of taking on the responsibility for site safety without some way to ensure if it all goes wrong some one else pays. So you may find the LABC will not only ask to see qualifications but also insurance details. But until the councils publish their charges and requirements for electricians to want to pay out for insurance and extra scheme operator fees to do third party inspection and testing is unlikely. Most will just wait and see what the councils do with their charges.

There are no changes yet to Part P where I live yet the local electrician I know is convinced that Wales is the same as England. I asked him if there was any news about Wales following England's lead and was rather surprised at his answer. I would have thought his scheme provider would have told him what work now needs submitting.

As to if I would inspect and test other peoples work. Assuming I have the insurance I would do as the IET recommends in the 17th Edition and where I can inspect at various stages then I would sign on the third line. However I would not sign for design or installation if I have not done it. I would only sign for work I have done.

I wait with interest to see other replies.

I was under the impression that the 3rd party registered installer issues an EICR, not an EIC.
I haven't seen the updated version of the building regulations yet - one week in and they are not available online yet afaict.

I was under the impression that the 3rd party registered installer issues an EICR, not an EIC.
I haven't seen the updated version of the building regulations yet - one week in and they are not available online yet afaict.

The 2013 amendment to the building regs are at: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/3119/made

I don't know whether they will post a consolidated version.

Sponsored Links
I hope they will, it makes it hard work trying to make sense of them.

I have contacted my scheme provider "ELECSA" and they have informed me, that as it stands, I will not require to submit additional registration or fees with them, to become and be taken to the dizzy heights of being a "third party registered installer".

In summary:

Most things are not notifiable.
Third party certifiers don't exist yet, and even when they do, no one will use them.
Nothing really changes, since 99% of people outside of the electrical trade didn't notify work anyway.

In summary:

Most things are not notifiable.
Third party certifiers don't exist yet, and even when they do, no one will use them.
Nothing really changes, since 99% of people outside of the electrical trade didn't notify work anyway.
And in most, the everyday home owner is unaware of building regulations and notification procedures!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back