Part P building regs on a garage

Sounds to me like your robbing yourself of increasing the value of your home, your doing all the neccessary to make it a habitable room compliant with building regulations but because its storage your right in thinking you don't need it. My advice is to pay for the work to be done under inspection from the LABCO (£285), use it for what you want but when it comes to selling it ching ching another room!

Sponsored Links
I know I'm going off at a bit of a tangent, but my understanding is that the local BC have no power of enforcment once work has been done for 2yrs, as for habiable room the same goes for TP after 4yrs. But if it was keeping me awake at night, I was spending the amount of money you probably are on re-furb or if I was thinking of selling anytime soon, then I would go the extra mile and insist they come in.

I know I'm going off at a bit of a tangent, but my understanding is that the local BC have no power of enforcment once work has been done for 2yrs, as for habiable room the same goes for TP after 4yrs. But if it was keeping me awake at night, I was spending the amount of money you probably are on re-furb or if I was thinking of selling anytime soon, then I would go the extra mile and insist they come in.
You confusing the thread on your very 1st post; not a good start IMO :rolleyes: . That completely misses the point of virtually everyone elses input on this thread. Unauthorised Building Works will always be exactly that; you will never be able to capitalise on your investment & claim it as anything other than a garage when you come to sell, albeit an up market garage. Survey’s, solicitors etc. are duty bound to report such to the cash lenders, who, increasingly, will not advance the cash where unauthorised Building Works are involved. If that’s OK then fine but just a little extra effort & following the regulations could make a big difference, as it is it’s officially just a garage no matter what you’ve spent on it or how glamorous it is.

Thank you for putting me right Richard but what part of "if I was thinking of selling anytime soon, then I would go the extra mile and insist they came in" did you not understand. Also, and I have only ever sold or bought in London, but even in todays climate, sellers have a if you don't buy someone else will attitude, regardless the lack of BC certificates. Finally are you saying I'm wrong about BC and TP enforcment powers 2 and 4years on.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for putting me right Richard but what part of "if I was thinking of selling anytime soon, then I would go the extra mile and insist they came in" did you not understand.
That’s OK; I understood all of your eloquent statement perfectly well. The fact that there has been no enforcement does not make it compliant; it will never be & you won’t be able to claim it as such in any sale. It will invariably cause problems at point of sale, even if the purchaser doesn’t give a flying fig & wants to precede regardless, chances are his lender will not advance in the cash. In this case it probably wouldn’t stop a sale unless they claimed it to be anything other than a garage; but then they could never capitalise on their investment no matter how long they left it.
Also, and I have only ever sold or bought in London, but even in todays climate, sellers have a if you don't buy someone else will attitude, regardless the lack of BC certificates.
That’s’ probably why it’s the cesspit it is.
Finally are you saying I'm wrong about BC and TP enforcment powers 2 and 4years on.
I never said you were wrong, your not; but TP can enforcement can go up to 10 years in some circumstances.

Sorry but I don’t like the cavalier “stuff all the rules” attitude adopted by the few when most choose to comply, even if they don’t particularly like it. I just didn’t think it was that helpful a contribution to a thread where everyone else is doing there best to advise the OP that for just a little more effort, they could gain considerable financial benefit from the work they are doing.

But with your 1st two posts like that, I guess you’re obviously trying to make an impression. ;)

What about your house insurance?
If your house for some reason, say burns down :cry:
Because of an electrical fault that could be directed to the installation of the garage or garage catches fire and set fire to neighbours property.
Your not insured!

At the end of the day we are here to help people who wish to diy, sometimes it's not as simple as putting a shelf up.
Other things need to be considered and safety is paramount, as is informing people of their legal requirements.
It's up to you if you ignore them, but you can't expect the good people of this forum to advice you wrongly, I for one have conscience.
I wont ever put any one off doing diy, but sometimes it's more than diy your dealing with.

Come on guys... the original poster (cheapaschips) hasn't been back to reply to this thread since the 21st January, which is over a week ago. Lets just keep to the original topic instead of throwing in a curve ball :)

Come on guys... the original poster (cheapaschips) hasn't been back to reply to this thread since the 21st January, which is over a week ago. Lets just keep to the original topic instead of throwing in a curve ball :)
I never started it; the thread had run it's course as far as I was concerned.

I never started it; the thread had run it's course as far as I was concerned.

I haven't blamed you or anybody directly... just saying generally :)

Part P (Electrical safety) - Basically, all new electrical work has to be carried out by a certified/competent person and would have to provide the necessary documentation upon completion of the work to present to the BCO.

Not so. Using somebody registered with one of the competent person schemes is one way of complying with the Building Regulations, and if no other (non-electrical) work is involved, would mean no legal obligation to notify LABC and pay any building fee.

But there is nothing to stop anybody actually doing the wiring if he wants. In that case the legal requirement to notify and pay the fee then applies; if other work is subject to notification then the Part P works will be included with the whole project.

When notifying electrical works to LABC, the onus is then on them to inspect just as for any other works. But some authorities are still trying to insist otherwise and demand that you provide them with an independent inspection at your expense, even though they have no legal authority to do so and have been told to cease.

Top man Paul, spot on, but who devised a situation whereby, what most
builders consider to be small jobs such as replacing a slated roof with tiles
[ or vv], installing a new S&V pipe or even forming a door/window opening[none of which tend to be life threatening], need to be overseen checked
and passed by LABC,[ and rightly so] yet electric and gas installations are able to be self certified by the installer,without any third party check/test save for a random one by their own organisations [ hardly unbiased] once or twice a year on installations more or less chosen by the installer.
On a lighter note, Richard's latest rant directed at me and London, only served to confirm my point about timescale of BC and TP enforcement, but if he really believes their is a chance of TP turning up on cheapaschips doorstep in 5-10 yrs time looking to interrogate him about a long forgotten garage re-furb, he should put a pound or three to win on Rocky the rockin horse in this years Grand National.

Using somebody registered with one of the competent person schemes is one way of complying with the Building Regulations

Apologies. Yes, that is true... like it is with replacing windows/doors and FENSA, etc...

Richard's latest rant directed at me and London, only served to confirm my point about timescale of BC and TP enforcement, but if he really believes their is a chance of TP turning up on cheapaschips doorstep in 5-10 yrs time looking to interrogate him about a long forgotten garage re-furb, he should put a pound or three to win on Rocky the rockin horse in this years Grand National.

asleep-045.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back