Part P Building Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this has been discussed before. I done a search but cant find anything.

Can someone explain what this is about, in simple terms, and what it means for the DIYer and what work I will be able to do in the future (legally).
My understanding is that I wont be able to add any wire to a circuit but can change a socket, switch pendant etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
C'mon, Nobby, mate!

Do a search for Part P, new regulations, January 2005, John Prescott, Pies ODPM etc and I'm sure you'll find something.

But i don't get anything like what I'm looking for. Unless I'm searching wrong. Can someone point me to some post's on the subject please?

Search for ODPM website. The government has copies of all building regulations there, including the new PART P. Otherwise, search for old posts on the subject.

You can change fittings, add one socket or light, provided these are not in a litchen or bathroom.

You cando anything you like, provided you start before jan 1. Seems that they will then not be interested, but check the wenbsite.

If you do anything else, then building control will likely charge £100 or more to inspect it.

Or do as many people will, continue doing what you want in blisfull ignorance of the new rules.

Sponsored Links
He's right, you know - the poxy search facility in this BB software won't let you search for a phrase (e.g. "part p"), and as it won't accept search terms of less than 3 chars, just entering part p and checking the 'Search for any terms or use query as entered' button just gets you every post with the word 'part' in it (rather a lot), and trying to force it by selecting 'Search for all terms', or using 'part AND p' as your search terms gets you no results.

Nobby - you can see the official Part P document here: http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/page/odpm_breg_029960.pdf .

Likely search terms to use here would be 'ODPM', 'certification', 'competent AND person*', 'building AND reg*', 'building AND control'.

The Screwfix forum, when it's up, does a better job of searching, so you can look for Part P there, as you can on the Novoserve forum.

Thanks for your help guys. The search facility on this site is really a waste of time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back