Part P Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay you guys - help me out here with regard to Part P and able DIYers. I've built an extension on my house and need to re-wire the old part and wire the new part as well. Can I, as an able DIYer, do all the running of cables connections of sockets and appliances etc, right up to - but not including the connection to the new distribution box under the law and regs as they stand now? Keeping in mind I live in Scotland if this makes any difference with the laws in the rest of Britain.

Having read through some of the posts on the site, there seems to be a lot of questions about what is required.

All help greatly accepted.

Firkin.

Sponsored Links
Nae Problem, you may have trouble getting a sparks to put his name to it if you intend getting it tested for compliance with bs7671 (which i would seriously recommend!) But at the moment there is no part p in Scotland thank christ!!!!

pc

Just a question. If the the plans were submitted to BC and aprooved before 1 Jan 05 and the wiring only involved an extension or new build, presumably as long as the work was done in accordance with the 16th ed Part P would not be an issue?

It's of no relevance in Scotland - Part P does not apply, the regulations are different etc etc.

To answer your Q from an England/Wales/NI perspective, see this:

PartPtransitional.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses guys. :D

PC1962............I was led to believe that from 01/01/05, even in Scotland we had to get it tested and passed to Part P regs????? Going by your response though I take it this is not the case?

As far as getting a sparks to test and sign for the works, I don't think that will be any problem - other than the bill they present me with for doing so :eek:

Cheers guys
:cool:
Firkin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back