Part P courses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The only thing that concerns me about Part P is house insurance. I do not see the point in asking a insurance company because of course they would say that all work must be cert'ed.
As long as I am happy that any work I done is safe (and I would make sure I have thoroughly read up on anything I was unsure of, and then id read up even if I did think I knew incase!) then I wouldnt normally be bothered but just that small technicality that worrys me.

Local college does Part P cert for £340, 2 hours a night per week for 30 weeks then you can cert your own work! Anyone done this?

I must pose this question to local council inspectors but I would like to add a new Consumer unit and a new shower, I wonder if I would have to pay for 2 inspections (circa 250 from what I heard) or do a course and be legal, and I wonder which is cheapest?

Thanks for any info

Sponsored Links
Just on its own, the course is not going to legally allow you to self certify compliance with the building regs.
Installation work completed to the IEE regs (BS7671) needs to have the correct certificate accompanying it. This certificate is for compliance with BS7671 which is a non statutory document.
Part P of the building regs on the other hand is statutory (England + Wales). You may decide to use BS7671 to comply with Part 1 of Part P.
Part 2 of Part P says what work in non-notifiable.
If you are doing notifiable work (unless you are a member of a competent person scheme) to remain within the law you need to use the LABC route which requires you to tell your LABC and pay their fee work before starting work.

Here a bit of the course description of the site, which if I read it correct gave me the impression you could self cert.

Not sure who is LABC (will have a look) but doign a course may be overkill for some people.

Course Description:

This course has been developed for those candidates who need to comply with the Part P requirements of the Building Regulations and prove they are competent to carry out the electrical work in dwellings. This qualification will allow candidates to be nominated as a ‘qualified supervisor’ with the Competent Persons Scheme. Registration with such a scheme will enable self-certification of domestic electrical installation work to the requirements of the Building Regulations.

The course content is based on 17 individual units that are assessed by a mix of internal practical and knowledge assessments and an external assessment.

Ok, LABC = local BCO

Maybe they mean, it will allow you to have the knowledge to do the work to part P requirments but youll still need to call LABC.

Do LABC do the inspection or do you pay them and then get someone to inspect it for you after (prob fill some LABC forms out), and maybe they mean the latter?

Sponsored Links
I suggest you read it again! Especially this bit:

"This qualification will allow candidates to be nominated as a ‘qualified supervisor’ with the Competent Persons Scheme. Registration with such a scheme will enable self-certification of domestic electrical installation work to the requirements of the Building Regulations. "

You have to JOIN a scheme. That requires a lot more than just passing the course! Plenty of information in the wiki and on the part p web site at

http://www.part-p.org.uk

LABC is your Local Area Building Control.
Your course quote is saying that the qualification will allow you to be a ‘qualified supervisor’ with a competent person scheme. After you have gained the qualification you will then need to join a competent person scheme such as NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA, ECA etc. Until you have joined a competent person scheme you can't self certify compliance with the building regs.
If you can't self certify compliance with the building regs then the only other (legal) way of complying is to notify all applicable work to your LABC and let them oversee the compliance with the building regs.

Your course quote is saying that the qualification will allow you to be a ‘qualified supervisor’ with a competent person scheme.

Surely this for qualified time served sparks to get up to speed with requirements of Part P as without quals and/or experience you'll never get through an on site assessment.

As far as I know the only way to get fully qualified to do unlimited self cert work is to do c&g 2381 followed by an assesment of your work and testing competence. There are things like disq and such but they have their limitations.

little or no experience at all then this is it.

1, find a local training centre (can we name them on this site)

2, do their 2-5 day introductory to electrics course. circa £350

3, do the 5 day EAL VRQ Level 2 for domestic ELECTRICAL installers course circa £750

4, then do their City and Guilds 2381 16th edition wiring regs BS 7671,
3 day intensive course and pass the multiple choice exam. circa £350.

do all this then you become a fully qualified domestic electrical installer.

Basically an electrician who can do anything around a "dwelling" (house).

5, Go to Part P. They come out to look at 2 of your jobs and aslong as you are competent and hold the above qualifications you will get to certify you own work in complience with Part P. lasts 1 year then you have to be retested by part p again.. and so on..

the world is your oyster aslong as you dont want to refit a factory or office block.

i think :eek:

60 hours seems well over the top for a Part P course - the five day wonder courses usually do no more than about 4 days real teaching at maybe 6 hours a day.

Dont forget about £50 on books and over £500 to apply to join a scheme; several hundred for relevant insurance; several jobs completed and notified at your cost before you can apply for the assessment.

Different scheme providers have different requirements - you may not need 2381 straight away. A dangerous stance in my opinion.

60 hours seems well over the top for a Part P course - the five day wonder courses usually do no more than about 4 days real teaching at maybe 6 hours a day.

Dont forget about £50 on books and over £500 to apply to join a scheme; several hundred for relevant insurance; several jobs completed and notified at your cost before you can apply for the assessment.

Different scheme providers have different requirements - you may not need 2381 straight away. A dangerous stance in my opinion.

my mistake 2381 can be done a little later..

"dangerous stance" meaning? :?:

And I really don't think you need a course to get 2381 - just read and learn your way around the regs and the OSG, then do the past papers that are online (some of the answers are wrong though - and probably wrong in the exam too)

And I really don't think you need a course to get 2381 - just read and learn your way around the regs and the OSG, then do the past papers that are online (some of the answers are wrong though - and probably wrong in the exam too)

OSG.. wots that... also the 7671 is 300 pages long.. bit much to remeber off by heart dont you think...???

OSG.. wots that... also the 7671 is 300 pages long.. bit much to remeber off by heart dont you think...???

OSG= On Site Guide

As for 2381 it's a test on your ability to read an index in a book and find the right answer

OSG= On Site Guide

As for 2381 it's a test on your ability to read an index in a book and find the right answer

ok so a course to help you look at the book is a waste of time?

assume the exam lets u have a squiz at the book whilst completeing the questions.. is it more of a competancy exam more than anything really?

:?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back