Part P Electrical Safety Notice for LABC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going through the process of building up a portfolio of work ready for registering with one of the Gov't bodies ECA, NIC..don't know which one yet. But a friend owns a Kitchen/Bathroom co and said that I could use one of the jobs he has, to kick start this process. (The work was to install a new CU + Circuit for a shower)

1) I informed the Local Authority, paid £120 and they came around for 5 minutes looked at what I had done, gave a nod of approval and then walked away.
2) I later received a letter stating that they will require an EIC and a Insp+Test certificate before a building regulation certificate is issued.

I thought the whole idea of this process was they would inspect the installation sign it off against Part P and then I just need to get it tested....it seems a pointless waste of £120 when I still need to get the same certificates issued by a registered electrician who could have done the work without shelling out money to the LBC.

The new CU, cable & isolating switch is all installed but will the electrician be able to sign this off???

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
they want YOUR certificates..
presumably you are qualified and trained etc so it was just a visit to sum up if they can trust you to self certify..
some LABC's offer a reduced rate for non-registered sparkies that do all their own testing etc.. ours only charge £40 for notification by a non-registered sparky.

This isn't really how the scheme is supposed to walk, but as we hear all too often, many LABCs either don't have a clue or simply don't care about following the guidance issued to them.

I'm sure someone will come along son with a link to the relevant documents. In the meantime, if you're going to be joining a competent persons scheme, surely you must already have the necessary knowledge and test kit to complete and issue an EIC?

As for an inspection+testing certificate, your guess is as good as mine as to what they mean by that... PIR perhaps? Which, if that is what they're insisting on along with an EIC, is ridiculous.

they want an EIC from him, and a copy of his 2392 ( or whatever it is now.. ), as proof that he's qualified to test.

Sponsored Links
they want an EIC from him, and a copy of his 2392 ( or whatever it is now.. ), as proof that he's qualified to test.

Ah, I understand. So not so much an 'inspection and testing certificate' but a certificate proving the OP's qualifications in that area.

1) I informed the Local Authority, paid £120 and they came around for 5 minutes looked at what I had done, gave a nod of approval and then walked away.
2) I later received a letter stating that they will require an EIC and a Insp+Test certificate before a building regulation certificate is issued.

I thought the whole idea of this process was they would inspect the installation sign it off against Part P and then I just need to get it tested....it seems a pointless waste of £120 when I still need to get the same certificates issued by a registered electrician who could have done the work without shelling out money to the LBC.
They are not allowed to do what they have done to you, but sadly it is all too common for councils to do that - if you search the forum for terms like "building control", LABC, BCO etc you'll find many similar tales of woe.

When challenged on it, even when presented with black-and-white instructions to the contrary in official Government documents they just shrug and say "So take us to court if you dare. In the meantime there'll be no Building Regulations certificate".

You should really have paid more attention to what you were agreeing to when you notified... :confused:

But now there's not much you can do - probably the thing most likely to succeed is to point out that although you aren't registered you are a qualified electrician and able to issue an EIC. Invite them to read 1.21 and 1.22 of Approved Document P, and if they still won't accept your EIC ask them to put their refusal and reasons, along with what they believe their legal justification is, in writing.

The new CU, cable & isolating switch is all installed but will the electrician be able to sign this off???
Unlikely.

You might get his signature on the I&T part of a multiple-signature EIC, but that's about it.

Plan B is to get yourself registered and then notify the work yourself - is your friend planning to sell in the next few months?

Where, however, notifiable electrical installation work is to be carried out by a person not registered with a Part P competent person scheme, a building notice or full plans must be submitted to the local authority. Under section 91 of the Building Act 1984 local authorities are then under a duty to enforce the relevant building regulations in their areas. Regulation 18 allows local authorities to make such tests as may be necessary to establish whether building work (including electrical installation work) complies with the requirements in Schedule 1 to the Regulations.

There have been reports that some local authorities are asking householders to have electrical installation work inspected, tested and certificated by someone other than the person carrying out the work. Section 33(2) of the Building Act 1984 (which would give power to local authorities to require persons carrying out building work to carry out such reasonable tests, at the person's expense, of or in connection with the work for the purpose of enabling local authorities to ascertain whether the work complies with the requirements of the Regulations) has not been commenced. This means in our opinion that local authorities do not have the power to require householders to retain an electrician to test and certificate the work in accordance with BS 7671. Local authorities which have adopted such a practice should discontinue it immediately.

Under the heading of "Local authority inspection and testing of electrical installation work in dwellings," about halfway down the page:

http://www.communities.gov.uk/......buildingregulationspart/

Hi everyone

Thank's very much for such a quick response, I wish I read some of these before sending an email to the LBC asking just "what the hell was I paying all this money for" Ahhh! .....well, it was put more diplomatically than that.

I am qualified up to '17th' with the 'Inspection & Test' behind me.

I will take the advice of submitting my own 'Electrical Installation Certificate'(EIC) and be prepared to produce the qualifications if necessary, under these circumstances it's the best I can do despite following all the guidlines issued.

I have a registered electrician coming out to officially test it for me.

I will know better next time. Although it really should not be this painful...ouch!

Thanks to everyone again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back