Part P for England and Wales - what about DIY in Scotland ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks as this is the Electrics UK discussion forum and Scotland is part of the UK i thought this was as good a place as any to ask a question.

I would like to get my old House consumer unit replaced with a more modern and safer unit, as mine has re-wirable fuses and no RCD or MCB's fitted. At the same time I would like to get some power installed in my newish garden shed, which is situated about 3 meters away from the house, ( and the electrical 'service area' of my house).

There seems to be lots and lots of info on the web regarding the fairly new Part P building regs for England and Wales, but I've not been quite so lucky in finding out exactly the scope of what the home DIYer can and can't do in Scotland.
Has anybody got any good links or can offer advice.

I am not a domestic electrician by the way, however i am a fully Qualified ( and practising ) commercial aircraft electrician/technician and so all of the basic principles are not unknown to me -i had to struggle though my lecky exams too :) .

any advice gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
[url=http://www.fife.gov.uk/atoz/index.cfm?fuseaction=service.display&objectid=BB39E19B-1240-4C7B-8C66D0E9435BB168]Fife Council[/url] said:
Unauthorised Building Works: SERVICE A

Unauthorised building work is the construction, alteration, demolition or change of use of a building without obtaining a Building Warrant from the Council. If you are unsure as to whether Building Warrant Approval was required for completed work, please contact your Building Control Area Office for further advice.

I've finally manged to get through to somebody in my local council Building Standards & Safety office, (formerly Building Control). I told him of the work that i wanted to get done , namely replacing and upgrading my existing main C.U. for a more modern and safer unit, and also getting power out to a Garden shed.
He told me that I don't need a building warrant for this work and that 'they' did not need to test or inspect this work because of this.

Basically he told me that it is always safer to to employ a qualified Electrical firm to carry out this ttype of work, but that i could do it myself.

Any comments before i start buying stuff.

Sponsored Links
Yes, we should all move to Scotland:cool:
No Part P Tax :D
Yet :(
Carry out your work safely and in accordance with the regs, and post here for advice about any particular issues you have.
And make a note of your telephone call with the Council and keep it somewhere safe.

I've finally manged to get through to somebody in my local council Building Standards & Safety office, (formerly Building Control). I told him of the work that i wanted to get done , namely replacing and upgrading my existing main C.U. for a more modern and safer unit, and also getting power out to a Garden shed.
He told me that I don't need a building warrant for this work and that 'they' did not need to test or inspect this work because of this.

Basically he told me that it is always safer to to employ a qualified Electrical firm to carry out this ttype of work, but that i could do it myself.

Any comments before i start buying stuff.

Interesting that (maybe only relevant in Fife)

Whenever we do any work that requires a new electrical installation (extensions, loft conversions, conservatories) we need to supply an Electrical Certificate (including test results) completed and signed by the electrician that we use. This has only been in effect for two years.

Going by that theory then anyone in Scotland (maybe only Fife) can carry out work to an existing installation but new installations need to be certified.

Before you start I would double check with Building Control as it doesn't seem right to me

The council guy is quite right.
The building regs become more onerous when the work involves more substantial alterations etc.

The other matter is the home sellers pack (called the Home Information Pack in England / Wales; but with no teeth)

The Home Report will be MANDATORY for all house sales from 1st December 2008. If you have had work done you may be asked to provide paperwork to from a registered electrical contractor
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2008/01/30105839/Q/Video/437

You should use a competent person for the work, links below

In Scotland:
Individuals regitered;
http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/ListAC.asp
Companies
http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/SearchCo.asp?T=Construction&ID=2

In England and Wales:
http://www.competentperson.co.uk

Thats interesting bald man.

I wonder what the council view as substantial alterations. I would have thought getting power to a garage would have come under that

The Home Report looks positive but I see a couple of years of grey areas for some of the things they are trying to implement (ie Energy Reports)

I assume in this context, substantial alterations refers to the structural kind, not electrical, so the council would not be interested in just rewire,, but if you knocked your lounge into your dining room and changed the lighting switching arrangements, they probably would be!

(different rules apply if your home is a flat, or has more than two stories)

I assume in this context, substantial alterations refers to the structural kind, not electrical, so the council would not be interested in just rewire,, but if you knocked your lounge into your dining room and changed the lighting switching arrangements, they probably would be!

(different rules apply if your home is a flat, or has more than two stories)

Gotcha.

Cheers

Cheers chaps,

I'm going to get some quotes in anyway. If they are reasonable then I'll get an approved sparky to do it complete with relevant paperwork.

It's not just about the money for me as i know that i can ( and do ) work to the required standards, it is the hassle factor.
A sparks will do the job in half the time which means we will be 'power off' for less as 'he' will have done it loads of times before. It would probably take me a full day of mincing about.
Might even consider waiting till the summer, it's still a bit windy and chilly up here :).

...we need to supply an Electrical Certificate (including test results) completed and signed by the electrician that we use. This has only been in effect for two years.
Where is that "need" defined? :confused:

When a job has been finished (a job that required a building warrant which includes electrical work) we need to supply an Electrical Certificate along with the rest of the paperwork before a completion certificate is issued

I think I am right in saying that IEE Wiring Regs BS7671 are statutory in Scotland (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong), so you might want to get hold of a copy!

If you have had work done you may be asked to provide paperwork to from a registered electrical contractor
But if there's no legal requirement to have had the work done by a registered electrician, what happens if you say "I don't have any paperwork"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back