Part P for England and Wales - what about DIY in Scotland ?

Sponsored Links
My experiences are:
The council require electrical paperwork from a competent person
(a competent person is classed as a member of SELECT or a NICIEC full scope contractor)

See links for my local council

http://www.north-ayrshire.gov.uk/na...=NoDoc&DFBC=Building regulations&CatLevel=3||

http://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/devser/documents/bsguidancecei.pdf

SBSA Guidance (what the councils should be adhering to)
http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/pdfs/Electrical Guidance for Verifiers 29Mar06.pdf

Also, if the client uses a 'Certifier of Construction' and you tell the council before the work starts the client )or builder if they apply for the warrant) get 10% refund on the warrant fee from the council

Option (i) would probably be the quickest, but cost the most money.
Have you worked out what (iii) will cost?

Good point BAS and well presented :).

OK option iii) might actually work out to be the most expensive.

I'm a maintenance engineer for a reason, I just like doing stuff. It's what we do. I've learnt more interesting things in the last week from buying and reading a few books, plus getting info off forums like this than in the last year probably.

It also drives my missus up the wall, which makes it even better ! :D

Sponsored Links
No offence Ban-All-Sheds but none of it is any of your business.
[shrug]Simple solution to that - don't post here and make it mine.[/shrug]

You were asking questions that have nothing to do with you. I chose not to divulge the information therefore I did not post it.

You invited yourself to lecture me on how I conduct my business. I was merely posting my experience and adding to the discussion.

Jump down from your high horse and let the horse go :)

I'm a maintenance engineer for a reason, I just like doing stuff. It's what we do.
Then buy the test equipment.

You'll be lucky to get an all-in-one for £300 though. Consider lesser makes - you don't need one that can double as a football if needed, and you don't mind if your loop tester trips the RCD, or consider individual units rather than a combined one, and pick off bargains as they arise. If you have test kit at work could you get yours calibrated on the sly?

It also drives my missus up the wall, which makes it even better ! :D
Great opportunities with rewiring to leave floorboards lifted for a while - guaranteed to annoy.

And have you thought about getting a power wall-chaser? :evil:

Free yourself from the notion that you can contribute to a discussion on an internet forum with material arising from your incompetence and professional negligence and not have people who are just as entitled to post as you are remark on your incompetence and professional negligence.

You'll be lucky to get an all-in-one for £300 though.

I'm already got some that I'm considering at this kinda price point. One seller even lives just 5 miles down the road so i can go look-see. Fully cal'd.
If you have test kit at work could you get yours calibrated on the sly?
We send so much stuff away for cal each month that i'm sure they might give me a freebie if i get the storeman ( who deals with this ) to ask.

And have you thought about getting a power wall-chaser? :evil:

In my stud walled, carboard and chipboard gaff, you must be joking. We had 100mph winds here about 3 weeks ago and i am utterly convinced that the whole house was moving and shaking in the gusts, thank god I've got a heavy roof.

I've got a brick-built house, and that moved and shook the other night...

Sorry to hear about the wall chaser....

I suppose an SDS box-sinker is out of the question....

Free yourself from the notion that you can contribute to a discussion on an internet forum with material arising from your incompetence and professional negligence and not have people who are just as entitled to post as you are remark on your incompetence and professional negligence.

You asked what if I couldn't arrange completion?

What exactly does this have to do with you and why does it concern you?

I have chosen not to answer this question as frankly it is none of your business. Its that simple.

You asked what if I couldn't arrange completion?
I asked you a question - big deal.

What exactly does this have to do with you
Not a lot.

and why does it concern you?
It doesn't, at least not as much, perhaps, as it concerns you, your client, and possibly her solicitors...

I have chosen not to answer this question as frankly it is none of your business. Its that simple.
Fair enough. All I was doing was to point out that your critical tone was inappropriate given that you had invited comments and questions by telling your story here.

but you talk such crap BAS

Hi Robert.

For your last paragraph are you talking about work that is or isn't covered under a job that required a building warrant.

Almost all of my work recently has been rewires, bathrooms, showers, kitchens and other small domestic stuff. Very little needing a warrant I suppose. I've not provided any documentation for building warrant work that I've subbed on.

Are you a qualified and practising Electrician.
Old-fashioned apprenticeship some 40 years ago :( . Still practising but it's starting to look neater now.

Roughly how much would you charge to do the work i require doing which is replace a C U for a new modern one and install a new shed circuit ( I've already bought a brand new MEM 2000 2 way garage CU for this).
A bit open-ended so I'd need to see it first. I'm not prepared to swap the CU without seeing the state of the house wiring and I'm not prepared to connect the garage circuit unless it's all visible. However assuming that I think the wiring is fine a CU swap will likely take me a couple of hours so maybe a morning all-in. But I take it from the word 'modern' that maybe you should be considering a rewire or at the least an inspection?

Also on the example of an electrical certificate for a newly installed kitchen how could they reasonably ask for this given there was no legislation in place beforehand that stipulated this was necessary.
If there is no legal requirement for you to supply one, then asking for one is inherently unreasonable.

You seem to be prone to assuming that everything a council asks you to do is reasonable and that it has a legal basis. If you assumed that, then it would be a wrong assumption.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back