Part P for England and Wales - what about DIY in Scotland ?

Hi Softus,

I understand what you are saying but from my experience those at the council hold most of the aces therefore we try to adhere as much as is reasonably possible to what they request of us. We fell foul of a building control officer once simply because he had a fall out with the architect that drew the plans for this particular job on a previous job. The building control officer made life very difficult for us simply because he and the architect didn't see eye to eye. Of course we pointed out on many occasions his objctions were unfounded and unreasonable but delays cost time and money.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds";p="841258 said:
mumble mumble

Ban-All-Sheds,

You strike me as being someone that could be very helpful to people on a forum like this but rather than share your knowledge and offer your concerns you would rather lecture in a condescending and arrogant manner. For the way you come across it seems that you deliberately try to start arguements and cause controversy.

Me, I've got better things to do with my time to be honest, but you carry on if it makes you happy.

You strike me as being someone that could be very helpful to people on a forum like this
When you joined into a discussion on what form of certifications were needed in Scotland, and when and by whom and under what circumstances etc, by way of telling us about a particular situation of yours, it seemed reasonable to try and establish if your situation was a normal one, or an abnormal one, and if people were or had been behaving incorrectly or extra-legally whether it was you or the council who were in the wrong. Otherwise your story wasn't going to be of much help to anyone interested in what should happen when all parties act correctly.

but rather than share your knowledge and offer your concerns
Just so long as I don't express my concerns along the lines of "and what if you can't arrange a completion certificate", eh?

you would rather lecture in a condescending and arrogant manner. For the way you come across it seems that you deliberately try to start arguements and cause controversy.
Not at all.

Sponsored Links
Hello fella's lets not loose sight of my original thread topic and 1st post intention please, which is basically the scope and limitations of what the home DIY'er can and cannot legally do to their own home electrical installation in Scotland, whether that be repair and replacement on existing circuits, or installation of new items.

I would like to get my old House consumer unit replaced with a more modern and safer unit, as mine has re-wirable fuses and no RCD or MCB's fitted. At the same time I would like to get some power installed in my newish garden shed, which is situated about 3 meters away from the house, ( and the electrical 'service area' of my house).

There seems to be lots and lots of info on the web regarding the fairly new Part P building regs for England and Wales, but I've not been quite so lucky in finding out exactly the scope of what the home DIYer can and can't do in Scotland.
Has anybody got any good links or can offer advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back