Part P help for an ignorant young apprentice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to forum, so hello, I'm Nick!
I'm and electrical eng apprentice, and I've booked myself on a 4 day Part P course to beef up my CV and allow me to do some small bits at home. But I cant find much info on what specific sort of things I should be revising. Can anybody help me with that? I assume the much hated Part P isn't too difficult to pass, am I wrong?
Cheers !

Sponsored Links
Please read this carefully:

http://www.diynot.co/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

and understand that there is no such thing as "passing Part P". Part P is a section of the Building Regulations, it is NOT a qualification. There are many posts discussing this on this forum.

What you are probably doing is a Domestic Installer course (commonly called a "5 day wonder" here). All well and good for increasing your knowledge but unless you are running an electrical installations business and can meet all the other requirements of and afford to join a competent persons scheme, you will still have to notify your LABC before doing any notifiable work, DIY or otherwise (unless you are employed by or working under the supervision of an undertaking that is a member of such a scheme).

as far as i understand there is an online assesment at the end of the course, is this not a test?
have you completed a "5 day wonder"?

Check out sites like NAPIT ELECSA ECA NICIEC and have a read on there as said having the part p qually dont mean you can do your own domestic work.Although I have notced there are a few deviants offering courses and telling people it will.Seen an ad in the paper rang it they offered a home study course and a few weeks in college.pat p PAT testing inspec and test 17th h and s at the all inclusive price of 6900 :!: but if you couldnt afford it in one go they were nice enough to let you pay 40 a week although that would put the price up to about 9000 :!: :LOL: Then you would still have to register with a self cert scheme.So beware.

Sponsored Links
Now I read there brochure, they do claim a 100% pass rate on part P :confused:

I'll say it again: There is no such thing as a "Part P Qualification"

There is a range of qualifications that are accepted by the various Competent Persons Scheme organisers as part of the requirements to join such a scheme. The qualification you are doing is one of these.

But it does NOT, of itself, allow you to do notifiable electrical work without notifying LABC in advance and paying their fees. To do that you need to be working for a BUSINESS that carries out electrical installations and is registered with one of these scheme.

davelx, i did take on board that there is no part p qualification, I infact never even implied it!
I have also taken on board that it doesn't allow me to undertake any of my own work without notifications.
you need not repeat yourself.
my question was really only about the online assesment I must take at the end of the "5 day wonder"

cheers sealeon, I've got one in the post from IET library (I'm poor) I supose I'll just wait for that

davelx, i did take on board that there is no part p qualification, I infact never even implied it!
You did, actually, by saying "I assume Part P isn't too difficult to pass".

But no matter.

my question was really only about the online assesment I must take at the end of the "5 day wonder"
It's based on all the modules that make up the course, so if you study and revise those you should be in a position to pass the test - but if you are actually doing it over 4-5 days and not 10-12 weeks worth of short sessions you are really going to struggle to assimilate it all if you don't start out with a lot of knowledge - essentially you need to learn the OSG, the EGTTBR, the structure of the Building Regulations and the scope of related legislation like the HASAWA, EAWR, CDMR. And it's a closed book test.

And the online test at the end isn't the only one - you get a paper test during the course on each module (there are 15-20 of them) and you have to demonstrate practical ability and an understanding of identifying faults and carrying out testing.

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back