Part P risk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a self build house. I don't intend to do the wiring myself (or any other physical work for that matter), so I shall employ an electrician.

The risk is that he can't carry out the second fix. I understand that a new electrician can't certify the other electrician's first fix so I could be stuck.

Here's my way out, I think: I tell the BC that I shall do the wiring myself. That won't cost me anything because I'm already paying for the house as a whole. Now if the first electrician can't finish the job, I don't have to find a second who will self certify.

Will this work?

Sponsored Links
Find another electrician who will do the entire job. Then you will not have this problem

There must be a way around this, a few years ago I second fixed a house wired by a spark who could not finish it due to ill health, if this situation arose post part p what would happen

You could throw the ball into the BCOs court. If you let them know when the wiring (first fix and second fix) is scheduled, it is up to them to arrange to inspect it. Since you're not intending to self certify, it is up to them to arrange to inspect the work. Give them at least 2 days notice, and it's their problem.

Sponsored Links
Why do you understand that the 2nd electrician can't certify?

A qualified (and certified) electrician can certify a house that he's never seen before, so your premise sounds shaky.

Softus said:

A qualified (and certified) electrician can certify a house that he's never seen before, so your premise sounds shaky.

under part P, you can only certify your OWN work. not someone else's since you dont know where they have run cables etc

andy said:
Softus said:

under part P, you can only certify your OWN work. not someone else's since you dont know where they have run cables etc

Intuitively this situation seems wrong, but without checking further I have to assume that you know more about this than me, because you seem to certain.

andy said:
Softus said:

What a load of hairy male genitals, any electrician can certify the work of another so long as they are NICEIC registered or have successfully completed a 2391 examination.

It is simple nonsence that people claim other sparks cannot test and certify the work of others, they simply need to comply with the observations I made above.

Sorry to be so fickle andy, but I hereby shift my allegiance to Big_Spark.

Big_Spark said:
What a load of hairy male genitals, any electrician can certify the work of another so long as they are NICEIC registered or have successfully completed a 2391 examination.
A load of HMGs is right - there is no requirement to belong to NICEIC, or to have 2391. Ironically, NICEIC try to tell their members that they cannot carry out I&T work and issue certificates for other peoples work.

It is simple nonsence that people claim other sparks cannot test and certify the work of others, they simply need to comply with the observations I made above.
I think the problem is that some people are still confused about the difference between certifying compliance with BS7671 and certifying compliance with the Building Regulations.

In the context, are you saying, BAS, that Bigspark and Softus are right insofar as they can certify other's work to BS7671, but wrong about self certifying others work for part P?

Anybody can certify other people's work, i.e. issue an I&T EIC, you don't officially need any qualifications to do it, nor do you need to be registered with any trade bodies, you just need to be able to sign the declaration that says

"I/We, being the person(s) responsible for the inspection and testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my/our signatures below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the inspection and testing, hereby CERTIFY that the work for which I/we have been responsible is to the best of my/our knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671, amended to (date) except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:"

and be happy that if any brown stuff started flying around that you could justify signing it, which might mean defending yourself against charges of being incompetent, so although not explicitly required, 2391 would be jolly useful.

However, regarding the Building Regulations, There are 3, and only 3, groups of people who can certify compliance:

1) People registered with one of the Competent Persons schemes can certify their own work, not anybody elses.

2) LABC inspectors.

3) Approved Building Inspectors.

Remember that as electrical work is now a controlled service, it has to comply with all of the relevant Building Regulations, not just Part P.

That's not to say that there isn't a role for 3rd-party electrical I&T, but this has to be arranged by, or at the instigation of, the LABC. They commission or request an EIC done by somebody that they regard as competent, and they use it as part of their activities to determine overall Building Regulations compliance and they issue the completion certificate.

if your not allowed to certify other electricians work, then what is the periodic test for if not checking others work ??? & also have any of you seen the little quotes explaining limitations during inspection & testing ? If you can't get to a specific part of the installation without destroying the fabric of the building again, then this comes under limitations agreed with the customer and is put on the forms in the revelant boxes. If you're a qualified electrician and have 2360-2381-2391 post 2003 then you should know the basics of inspect/test!! BUT I've said .....should... sorry I forgot electricians are the bee's knees and know everything about everything there is to know about their chosen speciality!(elitist bullpoop). P.S. why are electricians so retentive about giving information to concerced laypersons on their electrical problems? Talk about unions and the old closed shop! Electricians create their own and still slag unions off, talk about a contradiction. where's mi brush,, ha electricians I've s$%t em!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back