Part P + Upgrading Oven

Suppose that was why I couldn't find one ... and I can say, I did look fairly hard !!!

Sponsored Links
I believe that a MCB is fixed electrical equipment and so you don't have to notify its change.

Well you would be very dangerously wrong there.

Based on your logic a whole consumer unit is fixed equipment, but that is notifiable.

No, your logic is faulty.

The whole consumer unit is fixed equipment but is nevertheless notifiable because the AD specifically says it is. The AD could, but does not, say that an MCB change is notifiable.

Moreover, there is a very significant difference between a consumer unit change and an MCB change. You can isolate the connections to the latter with a switch; you cannot normally isolate a consumer unit with a switch.

The whole consumer unit is fixed equipment but is nevertheless notifiable because the AD specifically says it is. The AD could, but does not, say that an MCB change is notifiable.
The AD does not define the law.

Moreover, there is a very significant difference between a consumer unit change and an MCB change. You can isolate the connections to the latter with a switch; you cannot normally isolate a consumer unit with a switch.
OTOH you could replace a CU and copy it device for device and not create any new danger, but if you change an MCB for one of a different rating you could create a new situation which has lethal implications.

The AD does not define the law.
Indeed not. It is intended to explain the law to non-lawyers. As a non-lawyer, I comply with the AD even it it appears to contradict the law, because I'm not trained to interpret the law.

OTOH you could replace a CU and copy it device for device and not create any new danger, but if you change an MCB for one of a different rating you could create a new situation which has lethal implications.
The issue is "can I change an MCB for one of a higher rating without notification?", not "Is it safe to change an MCB for one of a higher rating?". From what the OP says, it's safe to do so in this case.

Sponsored Links
t "Is it safe to change an MCB for one of a higher rating?". From what the OP says, it's safe to do so in this case.

How can he tell? There is a 16A breaker protecting a circuit that appears to be run in 16amp. That is unusual. Why do you think that might be?
Maybe there is a piece of 2.5mm cable spliced into the middle of the run, how can you tell?
Maybe the EFLI is too high to support a 32or 40amp CPD. How can you tell?

The OP certainly does not have the equipment to test this. The CPD cannot be upgraded unless this is done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back