Part P - what counts as an alteration?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old electric shower which I'm looking to get replaced with a mixer shower. Unfortunately I want a shiny "digital" mixer shower which will also require a mains supply.

Looking through Part P I can see that alterations are notifiable, but I can't find a clear definition of what counts as an alteration.

I believe the work will entail replacing the breaker in the CU since a lower rating is required (3A) and likely reducing the existing circuit in length to terminate it under the bath.

This sounds notifiable but can anyone confirm? Just trying to figure out whether I need a Part P registered tradesman before I go out and get estimates.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would find a fully qualified sparky local to you,someone you can trust as in the future you may want more electric works done.

Here in London part p = "passed part of exams" and they charge same rate as time served electricians.

Sometimes a time served experienced tradesman will have the knowledge to save you money.

James.

Note that the notification requirements have nothing whatsoever to do with Part P. All part P says is :
Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining, or altering the installations from fire or injury.
Really, that one sentence is it.
The notification requirements are mentioned elsewhere - Schedule 2 in the 2010 edition. The scope of notifiable electrical work was "very significantly reduced" last year - but work within the zones of a bath/shower is still notifiable. Since you already have an electric shower, then that can be replaced (the law does NOT specify on a like for like basis) without any need for notification. It is unlikely that your proposed mixer will be suitable to connect to the existing supply without some alterations.

But in any case, for your own safety and that of your family/visitors - get a competent and qualified electrician in to do it properly.

Sponsored Links
Correction, I think the current version now specifies "work within the zones of ..." so replacing a shower would be notifiable.
In any case, get someone in who knows how to do it (and test it) safely.

Looking through Part P I can see that alterations are notifiable
screenshot_134.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back