Part P works question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

im doing a bit of renovation in my house...

a little history...the developers previously used part of the back bedroom to put up a partition to fit a toilet and space behind for the water heater tank...

Now... I have moved the toilet into the bathroom, demolished the wall (as i have had a new boiler fitted). This left one bigger bedroom with 2 x pull cords and 2 x lights. i have removed the 2 pull cords and 1 x light and brought the original light lower to the new lowered ceiling and put in a proper light switch instead of a pull cord.... Does this need to be notified/certified or not

also as it is an old terrace there is just one double socket in the room. I am putting in the plastic skirting (like you see in offices) so i can run network cables and add in 4 ot 5 extra sockets within this skirting to give better socket coverage in the room. ..... Does this need to be notified/certified as i am just adding sockets to a current circuit in the room.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think i may have found the answer... just found this section of things that DO NOT require notification :

additional power points or lighting points or any other alterations
to existing circuits (except around baths and showers)

Though your work is not deemed notifiable, it still require to adhere to BS7671 (wiring regs) and part P of building regs.

So you must do things safely and present no potential dangerous situations.
When making addition/alterations to circuits, you must select the appropriate cable that can handle the load and rating of the circuit, you must route cables in compliance to the permitted safe routes or mechanically protect. Also there regulations on chase depth and the holing/notching of joists (Part A building regs). You cannot use standard junctions or joints, that cannot be accessed for maintenance, inspection and testing. If the joint cannot be accessed, then a maintenance free method must be used. Also new sockets require 30mA RCD protection, this maybe already installed but in older installation is often not.

BS7671 will also request that any addition/alteration should be inspected, tested and documented in the appropriate form (either an electrical installation cert or minor works).

Sponsored Links
hi thanks for the clarification :)

just another thing if i may....

The special location i.e. bathroom... i'm currently having my bathroom done and the builder/fitter is arranging for a sparky to fit downlighters and extraction fan in the ceiling, chase cables down to wall light/mirror, fit a shaver socket and wire in a maccerator behind the new toilet.

Would this be notifiable or as the ceiling in above 2.25mtrs and the maccerator etc etc is more than 0.6mtrs away from the new shower then its not notifiable? do you know what the correct chase depth is also?

im quite competent and have wired things in my house before these regs came in so if i can do it myself to save cash then thats a bonus.

cheers

Now... I have moved the toilet into the bathroom, demolished the wall (as i have had a new boiler fitted). This left one bigger bedroom with 2 x pull cords and 2 x lights. i have removed the 2 pull cords and 1 x light and brought the original light lower to the new lowered ceiling and put in a proper light switch instead of a pull cord.... Does this need to be notified/certified or not
The electrical work is not notifiable.
Moving the toilet is.

It would seem you do not need to notify See page 14 assuming you do live in England not Wales.

thanks for all the input, and yes ericmark i am in England. The bathroom fitters have arranged for a sparky to drop cables and installed 4 x LED lights in the bathroom, run a cable to the mirror unit/light and a shaver socket... he said with new reg the lights need to be IP65 & fireproof and with the fan/mirror light/shaver socket it would need an external isolator switch and a circuit with a 30ma breaker, and as i have an old fuse board that would need to be replaced /re-wired etc and was going to hit me with a £500 bill, but just the drop the cabled for new ceiling lights would be fine.

But going off the link you sent as the fan would be mounted in the ceiling (2.4mtrs) so this should be fine without changing the board and notifying as its over 2.25mtrs? also the mirror light and shaver socket is 1.86mtrs from the new shower tray. so does this need to be notifiable as according the document on the link (2.6 diagram 2 its states within 3 mtrs) then this would have be be notifiable, or is it just because of the socket, so if i dropped the socket and kept the mirror light then its fine?

but also on the same doc, (2.5 notifiable work) special location means (amongst others)
where there is a bath tub or shower tray, from the edge of the bath tub or shower tray to a distance of 0.6mtrs.

so does that mean as the wall with the light mirror/shaver socket is over 0.6mtrs then in fact its fine and not notifiable :confused:

thanks

A shaver socket does not come under the 3m rule.
If the fan is in the bathroom it will require RCD protection, that does not mean you require a board change though. You can apply RCD protection without changing the board.

A shaver socket does not come under the 3m rule.
If the fan is the bathroom it will require RCD protection, that does not mean you require a board change though. You can apply RCD protection without changing the board.

so basically if i drop the fan, keep the mirror light and shaver socket then all is good without notifying (as long as its completed safely of course) and the sparky is trying to get work done thats not needed

If the fan is outside the bathroom zones, it does not need to be notified. But that does not exclude it from the requirement of RCD protection, all newly installed electrical equipment within a bath/shower room requires RCD protection.

As previous reply, that does not automatically mean the board needs to be changed. You can install RCDs external of the board.

If a board was swapped then that would require notification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back