Partial Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all, could some of you assist me with the following please? We are in the process of converting the rear half of our garage to a small office for the good lady due to work relocation.
Roof - double skinned insulated cladding (warm roof?) fixed to 150 x 47 joists, I have installed noggins level with the outside of the wall plate either side leaving 50mm of the plate viewable internally which I intend to fill behind the noggins with say 100mm thick rock wool insulation. Will it be ok to just plasterboard (and plaster) the underside of the joists?

Floor - DPM (turned up all walls by approx 300mm with say 50mm battens/bearers infilled with 40mm celotex (all ok?)

Wall 1 - Newly formed internal stud work wall - can I build this directly onto the DPM turning the DPM up the outer side 300mm before plasterboarding/plastering both sides (100 x 47mm studwork I filled again with 100mm rock wool)

Walls 2 & 3 - existing single skinned brick walls - 47mm battens infilled with 40mm celotex (taping joints) before plasterbaording/plastering, this will obviously only leave a 7mm air gap between the rear of the celotex and the outer brick wall, is this asking for trouble? I have spare DPM so would it be better to have this against the brick and then rather than fix the battens to the wall actually build it as a studwork frame?

Wall 4 - existing single brick wall in very poor condition (looks like a car once went through it!), cut brickwork just inside the centre and rear two piers and replace with a 150 x 47mm stud wall (this wall will be supporting the roof) infill with rockwool, plasterboard/plaster internally. I was going to build this wall 35mm proud of the external brickwork as we intend to clad the outer wall at a later date, the front half of this garage wall is fine so was just going to fit 35mm battens for the cladding. This wall is probably the one I need the most help with as I believe we may need a vapour barrier etc?

I have read several garage conversion related posts on here but none are quite the same as ours and there are also a lot of conflicting replies, as always, any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Looks fine, 2&3 make sure your walls render is in good condition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back