Partial load bearing stud?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm 99 percent sure this wall has no load on it but wanted to see if it was obvious before I took it down or if I should get someone in to check.

This stud runs parallel with the joists and is screwed into noggins not the actual joists.

Originally I thought the bathroom wall which also runs parallel was on the right hand joist of picture two but after measuring it out the bathroom wall is on the joist next to that.

Picture one is looking up at the stud where you can see the three noggins it is screwed into.

Picture two is taken from the same side but looking down parallel to the joists where you can see a joist either side and the noggins

Picture three is looking from the other side of the wall so the joist on the left is the joist on the right in picture two the joist on the right here with the bolts is part of the landing/has the bathroom wall on top just beyond those bolts is another joists

Picture four shows the joist beyond the bolts which the bathroom wall sits on so this isn't near the stud I want to take out.

Picture five was taken a bit back from picture three and four and show plates which I'm assuming tie in joists for the landing these do hang off the joist on the right in picture one.

In my head I can't see how a stud on noggins would be holding a load but from reading some of the stories about 1950's houses on here they can throw some spanners in the works haha

Thanks,
Ash

Attachments

• IMG_20210929_110417.jpg
    IMG_20210929_110417.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20210929_110436.jpg
    IMG_20210929_110436.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20210929_110512.jpg
    IMG_20210929_110512.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20210929_110544.jpg
    IMG_20210929_110544.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20210929_110559.jpg
    IMG_20210929_110559.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
It looks like the joists have been notched over, and are supported by, a trimmer joist which is fixed to the landing joist and presumably a structural wall at the other end. Plasterboard appears to have been used to pack the gap between the underside of the joists and the top plate (what you call noggins?) of the stud wall below, and is not meant to be structural. As you suggest, a stud wall can provide some structural support but I doubt (but don't know) whether plasterboard has any significant compressive strength in this situation.

Blup

Hi,

The kitchen roof used to be paneling and at some point got boarded over which is what you can see in pictures 3, 4 and 5 the joist which has the plasterboard and paneling under it is not part of the stud wall the stud wall is on the other side about 10/15 cm away from that joist.

The stud wall you can see on picture one starts below the plasterboard in the top centre of the picture below the strip of plaster board attached to wood those are fitted between the noggins to allow the plasterboard to be hung the top of the stud is directly below that and is only attached to the joists by being nailed into the 3 noggins.

Quite hard to explain but I hope that makes some sense.

Do these help at all

Attachments

• IMG_20210929_160225.jpg
    IMG_20210929_160225.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20210929_160231.jpg
    IMG_20210929_160231.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
It looks as though the noggins are performing the usual function of stiffening the floor structure/preventing twist, and are conveniently placed to fix the stud work/ceiling board to. Can't see that they are designed/intended to take any other structural loading. It's impossible to be definitive from photo alone.

Blup

You have confirmed my exact thoughts I can't see any load been put onto the stud via 3 noggins when you have actual joists a few cm away and with no walls on the joists either side of the noggins/stud their shouldn't be any load down and the load from the trimmer joists will be distributed to the gable end on one side and the joist running the length of the house on the other.

It's good to get someone else's perspective though and to see if they see anything I may have missed I appreciate its difficult using photos so thank and you appreciate the input.

Questions still open to anyone else If they see something.

Thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back