partially faulty Masterseal socket, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a MK Masterseal socket outside and one side has gone dead. I plugged a Martindale in and its dead whereas the other side works perfectly. It is a switched one but playing with the switch achieves nothing.

Typical of all the sockets it is an awkward one to work on tucked within an alcove by my front door. I always find MK lasts very well but this one, the most awkward one has gone faulty, sodds law.

Do you ever take them apart and try and fix them or do they explode with loads of guts if you undo anything?

What socket do they use in these outdoor sockets as I cant tell as you cant see the edges behind the plastic grey surround and they dont look like Mk Logic, ie maybe I can just swap the actual socket instead of buying a new expensive Masterseal socket complete?

I am a retired buidling services/ electrical engineer so the work is easy for me to deal with.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Do you ever take them apart and try and fix them or do they explode with loads of guts if you undo anything?
I doubt that there would be much mileage in trying to repair it (and your latter comment might apply!). I would personally probably take it apart, out of curiosity, but only after replacing the socket with a new one!
What socket do they use in these outdoor sockets as I cant tell as you cant see the edges behind the plastic grey surround and they dont look like Mk Logic, ie maybe I can just swap the actual socket instead of buying a new expensive Masterseal socket complete?
They are not just 'other sockets' in a Masterseal enclosure - the sockets (and, in particular, the weatherproofing measures) are specific to Masterseal - so, expensive though they are, you would need to replace the whole think.

Having said that, if cost is an issue, there are weatherproof sockets much cheaper than Masterseal out there, but I could not vouch for how good they are.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If you carefully prise off the 4 circlips on the back face the socket comes out, it is a standard Mk K2747 socket, you slot in a new one and push the clips back on, repaired for less than a fiver.
Push out the white plugs from the screw holes from the rear, and push into your new socket

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back