Sealing an outdoor socket

The K6211 range do both 10 mA and 30 mA versions, I have a 10 mA version, it was originally fed from a 100 mA RCD and the big problem was if some one presses the test button it took out both the 10 mA and the 100 mA RCD.
Interesting, I think have not encountered that scenario as the test button usually places a resistor between the supply 'L' and the load 'N' [or vice versa].

Sponsored Links
I must admit as an electrical engineer (level 5) I am still learning and I have made errors. One is in advising people if their CU is RCD protected there is no need for a RCD socket, on the surface this seems correct, but as you look at the types of RCD then not so cut and dried.

Quite right, the only daft question, is the one you didn't ask. Even in the same field, we all might have different areas of expertise, so unfair to have a go at anyone for having the sense to ask for advice, even if it is a field we should have experience in.

“Not sure” isn’t the way things are done.

Yeah, well I would do before buying any parts. I hadn't got that far. Currently, wife ordered it, box sitting in the dining room, and step one is need an outside socket. First thought was "wonder how you're supposed to seal outside sockets from water ingress" - and that's as far as I looked into doing anything.

So "not sure" is exactly how things are done if you haven't put any time into it.

I'm also "not sure" where the sockets are on the garage wall as they are buried behind hundreds of car parts for the past several years, but I'll also figure out that "not sure" too.

The question was about sealing from water ingress, nothing else, and hoped someone in the know would say what the UK or scottish standard is for sealing outdoor sockets.

Question has been answered, you needn't worry about any of the other details. The rest was just idle chat.

Interesting, I think have not encountered that scenario as the test button usually places a resistor between the supply 'L' and the load 'N' [or vice versa].
Yes it caught us out, some one it seems once a week would push the button, on the metal clad version we had that was only way to switch off the socket some versions did have an on/off switch as well. When the workshop was demolished all the stuff went into a skip, so I grabbed the 10 mA socket with intention of fitting in new workshop, but had an accident before that happened and my tools were returned to me and the socket was in with the tools. Keep thinking it would be good as an outside socket, but since the FCU which an outside socket would connect to has its own dedicated RCBO don't think it will be ever fitted.

Sponsored Links
It might be supprising to find out that there is not one "This is the way its done" answer. A lot of installers will use the silcone, some will use nothing at all (and in most cases it doesn't actually cause a problem). I personnaly use the compound (often nicely called 'dog poo compound' or a cruder version of it) mentioned above.

The only thing one should absoluetly avoid doing, is using top surface entries, even if there is a manufacturers knockout there and you are using the correct external glands, water always starts getting in after a time

Yeah, well I would do before buying any parts. I hadn't got that far. Currently, wife ordered it, box sitting in the dining room, and step one is need an outside socket. First thought was "wonder how you're supposed to seal outside sockets from water ingress" - and that's as far as I looked into doing anything.

So "not sure" is exactly how things are done if you haven't put any time into it.

I'm also "not sure" where the sockets are on the garage wall as they are buried behind hundreds of car parts for the past several years, but I'll also figure out that "not sure" too.

The question was about sealing from water ingress, nothing else, and hoped someone in the know would say what the UK or scottish standard is for sealing outdoor sockets.

Question has been answered, you needn't worry about any of the other details. The rest was just idle chat.
The reason I asked about the rating is I've replaced a failed external socket twice and on 3rd visit the 3.3KW Lazy Spa was there conplete with original Ceeform and 15m 1.25mm² 13A to 16A extension lead. Most are about 2.2KW or there abouts but worth double checking.

Water is liable to run down the wall and get behind the enclosure and find it's way inside.

I'd gland a piece of conduit into it, long enough to pass through the hole in the wall and into the dry environment inside the house. Maybe there is a box for an isolator indoors it can go into.

This will also give the protection from chafing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back