Outdoor Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody,

Excellent forum you've got here.

My question is this:

I am looking to wire in an outdoor RCD socket on the outside of my kitchen wall. The position is directly behind an existing internal socket on the kitchen ring main. I am hoping to drill through the wall and just spur from this socket. Obviously, copious amounts of silicone sealant will be applied. I am a little behind on the latest reg's and am not sure if this is possible. Any comments will be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
provided its well sealed there isn't a problem with coming straight through the wall

when fitting outdoor sockets its normal to drill a drain hole in the bottom of the box as the seals on those things are never perfect and you don't particularlly wan't the things to be full of water

i'd advise giving yourself some way to isolate the socket from indoors to stop people stealing leccy. possiblly use a rcd fcu indoors and use a normal non-rcd outdoor socket (the combination of rcd fcu and normal outdoor socket is often cheaper than an outdoor rcd socket).

Yes you are dead right Part P comes into play on a double wammy being outdoors and in the kitchen.
The question is are you really bothered about that and if so get in a registered pro or start forking out to the LABC! :cry:

Sponsored Links
You could always do it last year of course. If you have reel of old red and black cable it would be impossible to tell exaclty when the job was started or finished.
But I could not possibly advise you to break the law, that would be very foolish of me. :LOL:

mapj1 said:
You could always do it last year of course. If you have reel of old red and black cable it would be impossible to tell exaclty when the job was started or finished.
Or you could use that horrid blue and brown stuff as it was brought out last year before Part P.

Is there no requirement for IP rating for external socket?

Automation Nation said:
Thanks for the replies. I do seem to remember actually doing the work in December 04 now I come to think about it. ;)

i wonder how many other jobs were done last december?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back