Partly rotted jutty out bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My roof extends over the gable sides of the house and the overhanging part is supported by the purlins that run through the roof and what I guess are the roof plates. These are painted to protect from the weather. I've always had them painted by a guy before but this time I thought I would do it myself.

One of these jutty out bits had a piece of timber missing so I thought I would investigate further. The soffit is cut too short so I was able to get my hand in. The middle of the top of the timber seems crumbly and soft inside, but I can't tell how extensive this is, I nearly trapped my hand as it was.

So somehow water is getting to the top of the timber. It could be wind blown rain where the soffit is cut too short. Or water is running down the inside of the soffit and onto the timber. I'm going to watch next time it rains.

I have attached two pictures, taken after I had painted.

There are two outer rafters on top of these jutty out bits. I can see them through the gap. These I guess support the roof above.

Also I can see that the ends of these jutty out bits that are behind the bargeboards are unpainted. I suppose the original wooden bargeboards covered them better.

Should I have this looked at/replaced now or wait until it fails? It could be 10 weeks or 10 years, who knows. Is it an expensive job?

What is involved in replacing this timber? Also what's the consequence of this timber failing?

Thanks very much,

Bob

pic1.jpg pic2.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The soffits and bargeboards are uPVC, but the jutting out bits are painted timber.

Sponsored Links
Looks like the barge boards were originally cut short and the builder got away with it, fix a section of 3/4 qaudrant wood beading on and paint should sort it out and stop birds nesting in the eaves .

shopping

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back