party wall agreement dispute

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder whether anyone can help.. my neighbours are being so difficult with the process- I am having my loft renovated and in order for the builders to tile the side which falls next to there roof- they have requested I give 14 days notice, I have done this which will be Monday the 14th of July- however they are now asking for a risk assessment to be carried out otherwise they will not grant access- which I understand to be deliberate and an offence under the party act. what should i do?? help please?

Sponsored Links
Your builder should already have done a risk assessment and a method statement as part of pricing the job. If he's a small firm then he won't necessarily have written it down but he'll have done it.

Your neighbour wants to know, in writing, what your builder is doing and how he is going to do it so as to achieve the required outcome without risk of injury to persons or property- specifically the neighbour and his house. Which is not an unreasonable request.

Your post doesn't make it clear what is going on but presumably your builder is working from on or near your neighbours roof?-all your neighbour wants to know , in writing, is how your builder is going to protect his roof from damage and himself from injury. Scaffolding and crawlboards is the answer for anything more than a 5 minute job.

The other info your neighbour will want is proof of your builders' public liability cover so get that sorted at the same time.

And if your tiling ties into your neighbours roof then include some detail about exactly how that's going to be done (GRP or lead secret gutter, mortar and ridge tiles, whatever) and what it'll look like when its finished.

Party Wall Act- I've no experience of it but like most bits of legislation it'll make solicitors rich. Your neighbour is not being unreasonable in asking for risk assessment/method statement so just get it done- it'll irritate the hell out of a competent person but unless there's anything odd going on (or your builder is cutting corners) it'll take an hour max.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back