Party wall in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the middle of a loft conversion at the moment and trying to do most of it myself and learning loads on the way.

I live in a mid terraced house and in the loft the walls are only single brick thickness with bricks missing. I have filled most of the gaps with bricks and mortar but at the top near the roof i have filled the holes with mortar alone. BC have told me I need to build a partition wall against the wall and insulate it.

Is what I have done to the wall sufficient for fire, sound and heat?

I havnt been next door to mortar the gaps in the bricks is this ok?

What type of insulation should I use?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
ask BCO what thickness you need ;) they dont bite unless you go ahead on a guess and they turn up :confused:

Sponsored Links
con1_uk said:
Is what I have done to the wall sufficient for fire, sound and heat?

Fire - Should be ok for 30mins fire resistance when you add the 12.5mm plasterboard over the top.

Sound - its pathetic - but if your neighbours lofts are unconverted you dont need to worry ;) as your not adjoining another room

Heat - add a layer 0f 50mm Celotex directly against the wall and fix it with battens then fix your plaster board to the battens - (go to www.celotex.co.uk where they have the full spec for insulating solid walls)

ta daaaaaaa!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back