Party wall surveyor/small amount of light next doors roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently converted our loft space. Part of our decision to do this was because our home buyers surveys said our roof membrane was paper and perishing.
Next door’s choice of surveyor was a pay by hour partner at local surveyors firm.
Last week she was doing her final inspection and said she’d noticed a small amount of light penetrating on the neighbours side, that the tiles have been cleaned and moved in the party wall line - and could our roofers move the tiles to stop light ingress.

They have done this, and can’t see any faults in their work - other than they needed to remove moss which may now allow a small amount of light through.

Also we believe next door has the same perishing underlay that we used to have.

The light conditions on her pre/post inspection visit are also very different. She supplied photos here.

The surveyor charges about £200 for every call out, and charges for emails.

My concern is that she’ll come out, still see light - and I don’t know what I can do next?

I want to minimise contacting her as she charges each time. I’d suggest coordinating surveyor/roofer together but this will involve a lot of communication/call out for which I’ll be charged.

Also I’m not sure how big an issue this is, or if it can be proved that it’s our fault?

The issue seems so small - but the cost of her involvement in the issue is huge.

Sponsored Links
Would appropriate foam or sealant be the solution for light ingress or is it more than just a small gap in the brickwork?

You are tied into to a statutory process and have deep pockets as far as the surveyor is concerned. But you are close to resolving it and will have to treat it as part of the overall cost of the conversion, albeit frustrating.

Blup

Many thanks for your reply.

it’s the tiles rather than the brickwork - and I would say the removal of moss from the tiles has revealed a small hole, rather than any fault with the work. I would also speculate that our neighbour has the same paper underlay on her side - which is substandard.

So if it’s not a fault with the work itself, how can I prove that?

Wil this involve more call outs, an independent roofer, and to what extent is it definitely our fault?

For a minor issue - it could become majorly expensive, and this seems unfair.

I'm not sure how the Party Wall Surveyor process works, but you refer to their Party Wall Surveyor, what does your surveyor say?

Sponsored Links
It’s an agreed surveyor - so she works for both sides, only my neighbour was able to select the surveyor. We believed it to be a relatively simple and straightforward job, so thought agreed surveyor was best option, rather than expense of another - and potentially 3 surveyors.

Two things; was a condition survey carried out on the neighbours roof before work started? If so you should have photographs of the internal view of the neighbours tiles. What do those photos show and how do they compare to the same photos taken now? I appreciate your point about moss but do the tiles look exactly the same internally?

Secondly, a certain degree of light ingress between roof tiles is inevitable and not, in itself, a fault. If the tiles are seated and lapped correctly - or exactly as before - then that's the end of it. I would ask your roofer to confirm that in writing (and then do the photo comparison) and then write and tell the other parties (neighbour and surveyor) that the roof tiles have been returned to the same - or better - condition and situation as before and that your obligations under the award are now fully satisfied and no further visits on the matter of light ingress are justified. Explain that a small amount of light ingress through exposed tiles is normal and not, in itself, a fault. Make it clear that the award is settled and further surveyor visits are unnecessary and you will not cover the cost of such visits unless they relate to an actual fault or defect.

Thank you Jeds, that’s very good wording. I’m just waiting for her to get back to me. And I want to question the cost of emails/further visits if it’s not a ‘fault’ by the roofer.
Another thing I’m questioning is that - when we first served the party wall notice, we printed off the standard party wall notice from the government website and posted to our neighbour. The surveyor said this notice was insufficient/incorrect - which I think led to our neighbour mistrusting us. I can’t see how it would be incorrect if taken from the government website.

It's implicit that the surveyor, having identified the issue, needs to "sign it off" so more cost, or failing that a much expensive appeal to the county court or arbitration. I doubt your neighbour is going to get up in the loft and say there is no problem, but certainly worth trying.

Blup

Just for info; you enter into an award with an agreed surveyor in good faith. Awards allow for further attendance when there are issues to be addressed but that does not include endless visits to deal with anxious neighbours. You are not obliged to simply keep on paying when visits and attendance aren't justified. There is no such thing as 'signing off' a PWA. Sometimes an award might include a final visit but it is not necessary and isn't often included in simple domestic cases. Again, if a surveyor visits under the terms of the award to deal with an issue or defect, then you would have to pay. Otherwise it would be at the expense of the adjoining owner.

Anyhooo, sounds like it's done now.

Sponsored Links
Back