Party wall/working Sundays and loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
my neighbour told me sometime between Tuesday /Wednesday that they are having a loft conversion.
I have no problem with that, apart from before they moved in they had the house totally redone and the builders worked 7 days a week for a couple of months.
Part of my concern is that they removed their chimney and a dividing wall between lounge and dinning room. I didn’t get any notification, not being aware until it was done. There is a lot more noise from the occupiers now, but they are a young family with three kids, compared to a retired couple who have passed away. Maybe I am just more sensitive?

Today, there are scaffolders setting up front and back making a fair old noise.

When my neighbour told me that he was having the conversion, he was asking if I used my chimney. This has a real flame gas fire and I could choose to reuse solid fuel if I wanted. I don’t know how chimneys work - meaning are they totally independent? We have two pots so I assume they are split all the way up. I haven’t used the fire in ages but do intend to replace it before Xmas.

i don’t want a fuss, but what should I say to my neighbour ? Should I contact planning about weekend work regardless?

Incidentally, having just checked, the planning was granted in September 2018 and the house work was completed. The loft wasn’t done, and is starting today.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Chimneys should be separate, but often leak internally. Both they and you need to be careful you don't have fumes leaking out. If you are having the fire replaced by certified installers, they should check anyway.

Was it all on one planning? if so it's still just ongoing work on the original permission.

Ok cheers.

I was a bit annoyed by the racket of the scaffold being done on a Sunday. The drivers and clanging went on all day. It’s a big set up front and back with ladder trusses so I assume they will cover the whole lot.

plus I would have appreciated a bit more notice than a couple of days. I have no problem with the work, so long as I get some peace at the weekend.

hopefully they will add some kind of soundproofing as three kids make a lot more noise than a retired couple. They also have a lot of family events which get a bit loud.

Sponsored Links
Unless there is a planning condition on the permission, you will need to contact the council's environmental health team regarding weekend working. Saturday's may be OK until 4.00, but Sunday's normally not fine.

A party wall award could include working times.

The answer to neighbours question about chimney is yes you do use it and will be continuing to use it as a chimney and why are they asking?
Up here 'reasonable' working times are 8am-6pm Mon-Fri, 8am-1pm Sat, noisy work on a Sunday is not reasonable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back