Flying freehold loft conversion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I'm in the very basic stages of planning a loft conversion in our 1896 mid-terraced house. We have a flying freehold (I think its callled that) with our bathroom over the front and the neighbours bathroom over the back of the 'flying' part. See pic
My (first) question is: As I have full access to the loft above both our bathroom and our neighbours', does that mean that I can develop above both with my loft conversion? The far wall has been blocked up (before we moved in) so my neighbour has no access to this part of the loft.
Thanks in anticipation.

Barry

Sponsored Links
I would say that you are only allowed to develop over your bathroom area. Just because the neighbour has no access, doesn't mean you can use it and as Big-All says just check on your deeds.

Sponsored Links
I would say that you are only allowed to develop over your bathroom area. Just because the neighbour has no access, doesn't mean you can use it and as Big-All says just check on your deeds.

Not necessarily, yes check your deeds but there is no reason why a further FF could not be created. There would also be sound insulation issues

My guesses are:

1. The council will treat the properties as flats and loft conversion would not come under 'permitted development', so would require planning permission.

2. Building control would insist on a fire barrier between properties. Whether that would be any more than they require for dwellings on more than 2 floors, I have no idea.

3. You need permission from the other freehold.

yep as ajrobb say [party wall act?]
you will also have to comply with sound insulation requirements

dont forget though you still need to ascertain ownership you cant just assume because its not mentioned on anyone else's deeds its not there's
you need the copy from the land registry to see who actually owns it

remember houses built untill recently[mid 1900] could have open attic space over several houses without walls with each family using there own loft space

yep as ajrobb say [party wall act?]
you will also have to comply with sound insulation requirements

dont forget though you still need to ascertain ownership you cant just assume because its not mentioned on anyone else's deeds its not there's
you need the copy from the land registry to see who actually owns it

remember houses built untill recently[mid 1900] could have open attic space over several houses without walls with each family using there own loft space

Anyone remember the classic "Some Mother Do 'Ave 'Em" where Frank Spencer went into his loft to fix a water tank or something, and ended up falling through the neighbours bedroom ceiling !
Simon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back