Passing extractor vent through 'cottage style' eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to install a shower fan in the bathroom (ceiling mounted, ducted out through the eaves).

The only problem I have is that there is no gap at the eaves through which to pass the ducting - in fact, there doesn't seem to be any gap whatsoever.

The house is ~ 1920's semi, and the ceilings of the upstairs rooms slope (about 1ft) at the edges to accomodate the roofline. The closest image I've found on the web is below except where they have the vent, I have another course of bricks.

RoofVentMk3Cottage.jpg

Is it possible to replace one of the bricks at the top of the course with an airbrick or through vent for the extractor?

On a wider note, do I need to look further at ventilating the roofspace or given that there are no signs of condensation and damp assume that there are enough cracks and gaps doing the job already.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
you could always go straight up through the roof via a leaded tile or a tile vent terminal.

Thanks.

If at all possible I'd prefer not to vent through the roof as it is much more hassle for fitting and the like plus potential for leaks.

zebedee said:
Thanks.

If at all possible I'd prefer not to vent through the roof as it is much more hassle for fitting and the like plus potential for leaks.

there won't be any leaks if you do it properly. In your case, 'cos you don't really have any soffits, you don't really have a realistic alternative.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

So really is it totally out of the question to pass a vent/duct through the bricks at the top (see circle below)?

venthole1.gif

its not really practical to try and retro fit any venting via the soffit. people see soffit vents (which are venting the roof space) and assume it would be easy to use the soffit space to vent an upstairs room. quite the contrary, there just isn't the room in which to work. also, with the pitch of the roof, a wall mounted fan would have to be a too far down from the ceiling to be efficient/practical.
if a leaded tile is fitted correctly, with a rain hood, or better still, if you have modern concrete interlocking tiles, a tile vent terminal, these will not let in a single drop.

in order to do any work at this part of a house, you would need to remove a number of roof tiles, tile lathes and felt. the brick work at this part of the wall is very fragile too, so external damage is inevitable. if you're soffit is asbestos then you open a whole new can of worms.please.... don't do it!

Thanks for the replies.

Since it looks like a roof vent is the only way to, am I right in assuming that it would need a condensation trap? If that's the case, where would it drain to?

The only view I've seen of a drain from a condensation trap was out under the eaves (same place I wanted to run the vent) so am in need of some suggestions.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back