PAT testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a pipe burst in my kitchen a while back which caused a great deal of damaged to the contents. My insurer agreed to replace my fridge freezer but has refused to replace my dishwasher which was next door to it saying that it has been taken away and PAT tested. The dishwasher switches on ok but does nothing else and was working fine before the water damage.

My question is, do you consider it reasonable for the insurer to come to this conclusion and not replace the dishwasher if it apparently passed the PAT test but no longer works??

thanks in advance for any input......

Sponsored Links
Portable appliance tests only cover basic safety and are of no use for anything else.

If it's been flooded and now doesn't work, it's possible that the bottom of it still has water in there, dishwashers have a polystyrene float in the bottom of the case which stops them working if water gets in there - mainly to stop the dishwasher flooding the kitchen if it leaks internally.
That might be resettable, but if it's been flooded it should be replaced. Impossible to know if any damage has been caused internally without dismantling the machine, and doing that will cost far more than just replacing it.

Portable appliance tests only cover basic safety
And even then only to a limited degree. They certainly can't test multiple cycles of equipment (e.g. washing machines). It seems like a nonsense claim on the behalf of the insurance company, and suggests that they have absolutely no understanding of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back