Patch repair concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20170501_212547.jpg
20170501_212559.jpg
20170501_212535.jpg
Hi All.

My Wife has taken a long rental for a space as a studio for her business. Part of the agreement was for the cost of refurb to be done by her.

Now my question is regarding the flooring. The hall use to be small snooker table hall and had carpet tiles down which are very worn and not in great order. The wife is wanting a laminate floor laying so she can then lay a special dance vinyl on top.

I have ripped up some of the tiles thus far and discovered that the concrete is not in great order around the perimeter, it looks as if a channel has been cut out for the central heating pipes to be put in also when I am pulling up the tiles on some the adhesive is pulling up a thin layer of concrete which I am assuming was a screed over the main block.

As this is at our cost and not something we can take with as (as if to speak) we need to resolve this problem at minimal cost so that we have a flat-ish surface so i can put a good underlay down and then the laminate. The idea of applying a full floor self level is out of the question as we simply don’t have the budget considering we have already spent 1 k on other stuff. Therefore I ask if I could just concrete level the area with a trowel? Should I be using anything special material wise or doing anything special?

Any advice welcome

Kind regards jon.

Sponsored Links
Use self levelling compound.

You need to be careful with the terms of the lease though, as you may be required to bring the property up to a high standard for when the lease ends

Hi
Many thaks for the reply woody.

Is there any particular leveling compound you would recommend.
My concerns regarding leveling compound is that it may be to deep in places?
also regarding the cracks or where it runs off to the skirting do i need to seal them with something first to stop the leveling compound possibly running off into a void?
I have never used leveling compound before so sorry for all the questions.

Regarding the lease arrangement i think there will be an agreement at the end that the laminate flooring stays down for a cost, as with all the work that has gone into the room to make it fit for purpose they have accepted that it was previously of disrepair but did not have the funds directly to put it right.

Self levelling will be OK for that by the looks of things. You can get some that is more suitable for deep holes, but you do not seem to need that. Just check the product data.

The cracks are where the floor slab meets a wall or duct, and that is a common crack at that location. If should not get any bigger now, so you can pour self leveller in and smooth it off. If deep, slide a bit of card down to stop the self leveller going too far, or fill with a bit of sand and cement first.

The other patches seem to be where something was glued down. Just ensure to remove any loose stuff and dust so as the self leveller can bond properly. Read the product instructions for more guidance

Sponsored Links
In that first picture, if that is a door with high usage it might be best to use a stong epoxy concrete repar mortar (comes in small tubs) as it looks like its been self levelled previously and is broken again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back