Self levelled concrete floor gone mouldy

Sop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like some advice about mould coming through a newly laid laminate flooring.

The house was built in the 1920s. We have undertaken some major renovation. Taking each room back to the brick. The dining room floor had a laminate laid which we lifted. The floor underneath was concrete with very old tiles in some areas. We used self levelling to even out the floor allowed it to dry out and laid a new laminate. Yesterday I noticed all around the skirting of the walls that mould was coming up through the joins of the laminate flooring. The flooring was layed on 9th August. We also had a DPC put into the property.

I have a few thoughts:
1. The self levelling hasn't dried enough - it looked and felt dry and was dusty.
2. The concrete under the self level is causing the issue - however the original laminate was absolutely fine, no mould on it when lifted

Could laying the self levelling have caused a problem with the original concrete under it?

I don't know how to approach the mould, do I lift the laminate and see what's going on underneath or do I treat it with an anti fungal spray and see if it comes back?

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Laminate traps moisture. Whether that water is from any self leveler or from a rising or penetrating damp problem, or condensation is to be investigated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back