PATCHING ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have been plastering on the side now for about 18 months. i have plastered many different walls and ceiling but funnily enough i have not yet patched a ceiling.

i have a customer who had a leak in his ceiling so he got it sorted and but a piece of plasterboard over the hole. he wants the board plastered level with the existing ceiling so he can paint, but he doesnt want the whole ceiling plastered.

so how do i do this? do i skimm the board level with multi then what do i do with the outline? how do you blend in the outline and prevent it from cracking but also make the joints invisible when painted? easyfill?

i have never had to use easyfill before?

i am only an amateur and do not take on jobs that i know i will struggle with.

thank you in advance guys.

Sponsored Links
Id fill the hole with bonding leaving it a bit shy of level, then go over with multi finish,srcape back the excess plaster around the edge of the hole, then spray with a mister and fether out the edges with the trowel once the plaster has picked up a bit. nothing you can do about it cracking,but it should be fine.

nothing you can do about it cracking,but it should be fine.

Might be possible to add scrim tape after the Bonding is applied.
Even though not quite on the same level, the tape would help strengthen the joint. The feathering in of the multi outside the joint should hide the square mesh from the scrim, it's only thin stuff.

Sponsored Links
Id fill the hole with bonding leaving it a bit shy of level, then go over with multi finish,srcape back the excess plaster around the edge of the hole, then spray with a mister and fether out the edges with the trowel once the plaster has picked up a bit. nothing you can do about it cracking,but it should be fine.

its not a hole is a sheet of 6x3 plasterboard and he has left it about 5mm shy of being level, im just worried about around the edge of the board when its level, will you see the joints when he paints it???

cheers :D

A mister spray, its actually called a plant atomiser for spraying plants i use it for wetting up the plaster. Id personally say plaster the whole ceiling for a proper job as its such a large area to patch unless of course the ceiling is huge. Then you can obviously scrim the joints and no worries of cracking.

If you run a sharp stanley knife around the existing plaster, about an inch back from the patch you can normally score through the existing plaster and remove it, leaving you an inch to over lap the scrim tape. I have done this, but on smaller patches. I would think bonding is two granular to use on a ceiling patch and a standard two coat applicatio of multifinish would be ideal. If you wanted to skim the whole ceiling then perhaps a coat of bonding ruled off flush with the existing plaster would be a good idea to save time.

ok so two thin coats of multi finish then when its level with the existing ceiling i can spray some water on when polishing and feather it over the outline of the board obviously i will apply scrim tape across the adges first before i put any plaster on. if i get it all level and smoothed off will the edges need sanding before painting?? if so could i do that the same day or would the skim be too wet still. hoping it will only take a couple of hours at most. but will take my time to get it as perfect as i can.

What i do over here in France, make sure there is a decent gap (3-4 mm) between the old and new, fill this with MAP (morter adhesive) making sure it's relativly flat, (this helps prevent the edge of the patch cracking as it bonds the old to the new) then use multi feathering in over the old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back