Patchwork House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently looking at fitting a new kitchen in a property around 150 years old, it has had several additions and is a complete patchwork, the most recent addition is around 80 years old and is where the new kitchen will be fitted.
All the walls are solid(no cavity) and are a mix match of 4" and 9" on the external, to my surprise there is very litttle dampness penetrating through the walls. When i first started investigating there was the obvious black mould on the tiles, however when i removed these i was pleasantly surprised to find that the walls themselves were relatively dry, some ingress at the window and some at a low level however.
The roof for this part of the building has a badly finished flat roof which has no guttering or parapet wall so is shedding all of its rainwater onto the face of the wall, also the surrounding additions have gutterings which simply divert the water onto the concrete slabs around the building.
For this the roof will be redone, guttering fitted, field drain installed around the footings to prevent saturation all running to a soakaway.

Now for the walls, the ideas i have so far are;

render the walls with renovating plaster(the damp-proofing stuff), insulate with 2l2 (as it is also a rain barrier) and plasterboard.

Build a stud ,insulate with kingspan, 2l2 again, install weepers in the existing wall, use stud to create cavity.

Tank, strap-out, insulate, vcl pboard.
If anyone has past experience of a job like this your opinion would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back