Patchy blotchy wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A local church has had new oak windows and a door installed aprox 1 year ago.

Unfortunately the wood has gone very patchy and blotchy and the defects and much darker than the original medium oak colour and look very unsightly.

I understand the wood was treated with Osmo Clear Oil. (No finish coat has been used.)

I have looked up the technical info on website and it does state that just using oil is ok if wood is not exposed to direct sunlight!
I have contacted the support team but dont know how slow they are to reply, in meantime could any fellow deckies advise.

Oh and one more thing, no sexist comments allowed about my being a wooooooooman third eye! ;)

Sponsored Links
Oh and one more thing, no sexist comments allowed about my being a wooooooooman third eye!

Typical womans attitude! :rolleyes:

In my experience most oils that are in direct contact of sunlight raises the oil to the surface and in turn burns the oil, resulting in the effect you mention. Was it given more than one coat ? If so, then this would have saturated the wood and in turn making the wood even more prone to sun exposure. N.B I have also seen people buy oil for there wooden deckchairs etc in once sunlight hits the oiled wood it softens the oil to the surface and making at tacky which results in oily clothing ! To be honest there are millions of products out there that should NOT be labaled as can be used here or there, in my opinion. For one is when Dulux claimed you could use there Brushgrain (i think it was called) on exterior work, well every job i seen done in it had started flaking off within one year !

Zampa said:
Oh and one more thing, no sexist comments allowed about my being a wooooooooman third eye!

:LOL: :LOL:

Couple of years ago I did several oak doors and windows with sikkens HLS Light oak, followed by two coats of cetol filter 7. Colour was great and still looks good when I was doing other work there last week.

Though these were bare from the start and didn't have any oil on. As third eye says Duhhhhh.

Sponsored Links
confidentincompetent said:
Zampa said:

:LOL: :LOL:

Couple of years ago I did several oak doors and windows with sikkens HLS Light oak, followed by two coats of cetol filter 7. Colour was great and still looks good when I was doing other work there last week.

Though these were bare from the start and didn't have any oil on. As third eye says Duhhhhh.

Yep I think thats going to be a problem too...the stuff paper girl used also has wax in it..so its a bit of a dodgy one.

OSMO..heard of it?..I used it recently on a floor for someone and it took..get this...TEN!..count em TEN days between coats..and the customer wanted four coats..and just to make it worse..there was imovale furniture in the room..so it double the time because a patch had to be painted...left to dry..the furnitre shifted on to it...then the rest varished..in effect it doubled the time of the job!

Oak can go black very easily in the presence of moisture...should have gone for UPVC!

Been on the Osmo website and they do a Satin-mat wood finish in varioius colours which they state will hide the grain and colour of wood but allow the texture to show through.

And you can safely go over previous coatings of the osmo oil which was used on them before, so i think my best bet is to use this and recommend a darker colour than the oak to hide the darker imperfections more than likely caused by moisture as Zampa suggests.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back