Patchy ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had several rooms in my house skimmed. Ie changed from artex to smooth. The two bedrooms and dining room were no problem but the living room still looks patchy are 5 coats. I did use a thinned coat for the first coat as i did with all the other rooms. I have read another question and answers about this. Really frustrating. I am going to try the pink paint that drys white I think. Just wondered if it would be best to thin it slightly as it might be, as already suggested, that the paint is drying out too quickly? Also, seems to use such a lot of paint. The room is about 14 feet square and uses nearly a whole large tin of paint every coat. I am using an extending roller and a new roller every time. Would like to get on with the rest but can't until I have to ceiling right.
So I guess my question is should I dilute the pink paint slightly and if so by how much?
Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't thin the pink stuff as its a retail paints its on the thin side already.

Two options you could consider, seal the ceiling with zinsser gardz then apply another coat, or rub the ceiling down and apply another coat. TBH large ceilings can be a pain, i work from the outside into the middle until about half way then go round and do the other side and then do the same picking up from where i left off, in other words you divide the ceiling into quarters.

It also depends how good the plastering is, if its not dead level it casts shadows which can look like misses/patchiness, it might be that you'll never get it perfect if thats the case

It sounds like 'suede' to me. You need to sand it well back and then use a much thinner paint.

Thank you both for your advice. Not looking forward to sanding but will give it a go tomorrow.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well, just to say thank you for your advice. I bought some pink to white paint. Painted in long straight lines ( that was advised on another blog). It looked lovely when wet but not so good when dry. However this morning looked better still and have just used up the rest of the pot with yet another coat and looks good.
I would thoroughly recommend the pink to white paint. It was not the holy grail Dulux make but was in fact The dreaded Wicks make. However, I personally found it easier to use than the Dulux which seemed far too thick to manage. It didn't drip everywhere either.
So can now crack on with walls etc. so glad I found this website and once again great thanks to you all (and to Martha Wainwright who helped me along while painting as had just received a new album).
Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back