Patio doors for front door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering closing off the recess outside my front door using sliding patio doors or similar.

Generally I see so many patio doors that seem to have very poor sliding mechanisms and most would seem to be totally unsuitable for my proposal where it would be opened several times a day.

Do others agree that most would be unsuitable?

Are there some makes that would be far better than others?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I had them for years no problem at all, you need a mid rail for a letterbox and make sure the sliding door (one is fixed) clears the box.
The company I bought from closed years ago (lease was up on their unit) can't remember the make but as long as you don't go for the cheapest around it should be fine. :D

Also worth clear upper pane but obscure lower it hides mail parcels etc better.

Have to disagree with Footprints here!

I had those years ago and they drove me potty. When going in and out, you had to move your arm contrary to the direction you are going (it's easier to push or pull your arm than to move it right or left against the weight of the door).

S'pose it's down to personal preference really :LOL:

Have to disagree with Footprints here!

I had those years ago and they drove me potty. When going in and out, you had to move your arm contrary to the direction you are going (it's easier to push or pull your arm than to move it right or left against the weight of the door).

S'pose it's down to personal preference really :LOL:

Ah! Can you pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time? You have to practice! :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I had an ally patio door as a back door, years ago, I know construction has changed, but I hated it.
It was heavy to slide, kept tripping on the runner.
The only plus point was it didn't bang shut.

I was hoping some would have had both positive and negative recommendations with brands.

Since they are pretty expensive it not something that I would want to make a mistake over.

Tony

Sliders are a solution to a space problem albeit one that is slightly contentious by design.

My experience with building and usage says that if there is another way then do it. However, it's not the end of the world. When these doors do slam shut the whole house hears it. They can be difficult to open and close if your hands are 'busy'.

My externally recessed front door is only about 900 deep and thus not really deep enough for a hinged door of a reasonable width opening inwards.

I had always thought that outward opening doors were at greater risk of getting caught by the wind?

I encounter so many patio doors at people's houses and whilst some are very stiff there are a few which are pretty light.

However, very few people ever seem to know what make they were and manufacturers never seem to put their brand names on them.

Tony

The problem with sliding gear (and locks) is that door manufacturers change suppliers and designs alter, so after a few years, when things are worn and you need parts, the mechanisms are out of production and unobtainable.

Yes, I appreciate that.

But still hoping for some personal recommendations and both for and against brands.

Or any other forums where I could ask? Would SF be suitable or has Dickie messed it up for good?

Tony

I would avoid UPVC and stick to white alli.
I found the door was easy to open but then I fitted it myself, regularly lubricated the runners and made a couple of adjustments form time to time, trouble is most people just let the rollers jam up and wear D shaped because they are too darn lazy to fix them!

Downside was that callers who were used to struggling with them at other houses, used to open and close it with a bang from time to time because they ran so easy! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back